6.5 gallon glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6-5-gallon-glass-carboy.jpg'

6.5 gallon glass (dangerous if dropped, but well trusted and retro!)
6-5-gallon-glass-carboy.jpg

Get a carboy brush! I always find that cleaning a carboy immediately after racking is the best time to clean it as no crud is caked onto glass. Then all that is required is a sanitizer soak just prior to next brew session
Price Payed: $35.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: visibility, no staining
Cons: harder to clean than a bucket, but not so bad

I have two of these, they function great, and are easy to clean and fairly easy to carry with a neck handle.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Clear, easy to clean
Cons: Fragile

Its a carboy.
Price Payed: $1.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Its a carboy
Cons: its a carboy

works well
Price Payed: $45.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: easy to clean
Cons: made of glass so be careful

what can i say...these things are my babies...especially my five gallon...i held my fiver like a baby for a couple days when i first got it
Price Payed: $40.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: good for acquiring five gallons worth of solid home brew
Cons: ....weight?

It's a glass carboy. It's good stuff. Using it for primary fermentation.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Glass, easy to clean and sanitize.
Cons: Breakable.

I own four 6.5 glass carboys. I like using them because I can see what going on in my fermenter. I also like that they don't absorb or emit any chemicals. They can be a pain to clean but because they are clear you can see the spots you missed. Because they are glass, I use a milk crate to tote them around for safety. I've been fortunate to only have one break and spill my beer. It was because I used a siphon devise made of copper and it tapped the glass as I was getting the beer up the tube.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Easy to see any unclean spots.
Cheaper than a conical.
No worries of leeching chemicals.
Cons: Fragile, DON"T DROP!
Harder to clean.

See above.
Price Payed: $30.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Clear so you can see your wort
Cons: It's glass and 6.5 gallons is not enough head space on a 5 gallon batch to avoid blow off.

I still prefer glass over better bottles. I'd have several conicals rather than carboys, if that was a practical solution and an unlimited budget. It's not.
Price Payed: $45.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Glass is about as sanitary as you can get. You can watch fermentation.
Cons: Glass is dangerous. Period.

i got this with my kit, i love it. after i got this I have been secondary fermenting my brew to make a cleaner better beer.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: great for secondary fermentation
Cons: hard to clean

These are great for fermenting in because of the head-space for yeast to work. they are also not soft like plastic so they are hard to scratch, which helps bacteria grow. i would recommend to anyone out there if they can get there hands on them do it. i used plastic for a while but after an infection i am reluctant to use it anymore.
Price Payed: $10.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Everything: easy to clean, and big enough to ferment in nicely
Cons: heavy

I was told to get glass early-on and have always been happy with my carboys. The Brewhauler makes moving this thing around way easier.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Durable, easy to clean, transluscent, no woes about scratching.
Cons: Shattered carboy = unhappy homebrewer.

We sell a couple a week, if you are is Southeast Georgia stop in and get one, you will not regret it. I always keep 4 carboys busy. This general purpose 6.5 does it all. When I go from the Primary to the condition carboy I use the 6 gallon then.
Price Payed: $37.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Always in stock, easy to clean, multipurpose, beer and wine
Cons: Heavy

Back