5g Water Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrupjr

Reaction score
I have bottled water delivered to my house. Can I use them for racking in case of an emergency? They are food grade I assume

never mind. Should have done a search. Found quite a few other threads about it as well. doh:eek:

well I know the info is out there, but if you ask me, I can tell you to NEVER use bottles with the hollow handles, although I dont think they dont make them anymore. They are just too hard to clean, If the bottle is clean and sterile it can also be used for fermenting.

i think they shipped all the bottles with hollow handles over to michigan i cant find a decent 5 gallon water bottle any where lately.

try the supermarket. Sometimes they sell them without the handle. Really I thought they stop selling the ones with the handle, interesting.

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I was searching to get everyone's take on 3 gallon water bottles. I thought they would be perfect secondary fermentors for my half batches. Although they are marketed as "BPA Free", they are a number 3 or number 7 plastic. Everything I've read says to avoid 3 & 7. I never even thought about the hollow handle being an issue. Is it an issue even with a good PBW or Oxyclean soak?

iamperplexed said:
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I was searching to get everyone's take on 3 gallon water bottles. I thought they would be perfect secondary fermentors for my half batches. Although they are marketed as "BPA Free", they are a number 3 or number 7 plastic. Everything I've read says to avoid 3 & 7. I never even thought about the hollow handle being an issue. Is it an issue even with a good PBW or Oxyclean soak?

The issue has been beaten to death here on both sides of the issue. Do a search and read up on the old threads.

The issue has been beaten to death here on both sides of the issue. Do a search and read up on the old threads.

Agreed and honestly, I think I'll just spend the money for a 3 gallon Better Bottle. Actually, I'm skeptical of all plastics but the horror stories I've read about glass are starting to sway my opinion. Thanks for the reply.

iamperplexed said:
Agreed and honestly, I think I'll just spend the money for a 3 gallon Better Bottle. Actually, I'm skeptical of all plastics but the horror stories I've read about glass are starting to sway my opinion. Thanks for the reply.

Well, I'm partial to glass, that's all I own. Haven't broken one yet!

Bought myself three 3 gallon carboys yesterday. :)

Absopure has mostly gone to all PETE carboys. You can generally tell on sight if your Absopure bottle is one of the old non-PETE ones or one of the newer PETE ones because the old bottles have flat bottoms ... the newer PETE ones have convex bottoms. But still, always check the markings on the bottom of the carboy to see that it shows the "PETE" and/or "triangle with the '1' in the middle" marking to be sure.

For the amount of time Absopure allows you to drink 5 gallons of water, you can easily get out of the primary-bucket and get at least one or so rackings done. Then, you can rack to a permanent carboy you've purchased or glass "Gallo" jugs etc.

The main problem with all PETE carboys in general (except "Better Bottles" carboys and their closures which are manufactured differently) is that they - including Absopure carboys - allow tiny amounts of oxygen in over time which makes them risky for long term storage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate#Polyester_recycling_industry

Well, I'm partial to glass, that's all I own. Haven't broken one yet!

Bought myself three 3 gallon carboys yesterday. :)

Call me old fashion but I like glass.

If you want to go all out get some Pyrex carboys, they run about 200 bucks but will last you a lifetime.

Inner10 said:
Call me old fashion but I like glass.

If you want to go all out get some Pyrex carboys, they run about 200 bucks but will last you a lifetime.

That's a bit pricey for me. I started making wine to SAVE money. Having fun in the mean time is a plus too!

That's a bit pricey for me. I started making wine to SAVE money. Having fun in the mean time is a plus too!

In that case a 20$ carboy will last a lifetime as well...just don't bang it around too much.

Inner10 said:
In that case a 20$ carboy will last a lifetime as well...just don't bang it around too much.

I do have a collection of $20 5g carboys! :)

Back