5500W element overkill for a 10g kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spurge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Shopping for a element. Originally I thought 5500W would be best, but I only have a 10g kettle.

Should I just go a 4500W instead? Thanks for any help. Speed of getting to temp is important to me, but I don't want to scorch anything.

Scorching won't be a concern. Assuming you are using a controller to control the element output and can dial it back for boiling, bigger is going to be better in terms of heat-up times!

I'm using 5500w camco ripple elements in my 10G build. They do fit (with little room to spare) in the blichmann 10g kettles. Haven't fired then up yet but I'm expecting heating times to be insanely fast.

I use a 5500W element and had a PWM control on it until it burned out (long story, but it was my fault, not the components...)

So for a couple of brews I ran it full out and it was fine. But this is in a 15 gallon keg. If it were only 10 gallons, I'd be careful about boil-overs.

If you wire a very simple PWM circuit into it, then go with the biggest element you can find and dial it down at boil temp.

Back