5 Gallon EZ-Strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyIguana

Ohio Homebrewers
Reaction score
Hello folks. I ran across a product this morning of which I immediately purchased. For those of us that BIAB or don't want to mess with hop spiders in our boil kettle: Enter EZ-Strainer.

Available in 25, 55, 75, 100, 200, 400, and 600 micron sizes. I'm confident it will be an excellent (cheap) filter. I'll be using this to filter cooled wort from the boil kettle to a 5 gallon bucket, pitching my yeast (or starter) then funneling to my car boy. I went ahead and got the 400 micron size as I use hop pellets exclusively.

I hope some of you will find this useful!
fs5_ID630-S.jpg

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_it...MIzvff3Z_z2AIVULbACh3RKQFbEAQYASABEgJcVfD_BwE

I've used these strainers before. The finer ones do clog easily and are fairly flimsy when pouring hop pellet laden wort through them. The courser ones may be useful though.

They are also available here:

https://www.usplastic.com/search/default.aspx?it=item&keyword=strainers
Thanks for the input - glad I went with the 400 micron. I only brew 2.5 gal batches so I'm optimistic the weight won't be an issue. If it is I will just continue using a grain bag in the bucket for my transfers.

I saw them as well on that other website initially, but shipping was too expensive. I paid $11.00 with shipping to Ohio. On the link I posted.

That's odd, US Plastics, is actually in Lima, OH. A couple hours west of your location.

I used to strain hop-laden wort through a fine strainer into my fermenter and it clogged up fairly readily. Just be careful pouring into the strainer, you may find it clogs fast. You might have to use a spoon or some such to clear areas of the strainer to let more wort through.

I do wonder--why into the 5-gallon bucket instead of into the fermenter directly? I have a large funnel I used for that purpose, and it saved a step as well as reduced exposure to potential contamination.

I've been using a hop spider lately and I'm pretty enamored with it--keeps a lot of that stuff out of the wort.

I used to strain hop-laden wort through a fine strainer into my fermenter and it clogged up fairly readily. Just be careful pouring into the strainer, you may find it clogs fast. You might have to use a spoon or some such to clear areas of the strainer to let more wort through.

I do wonder--why into the 5-gallon bucket instead of into the fermenter directly? I have a large funnel I used for that purpose, and it saved a step as well as reduced exposure to potential contamination.

I've been using a hop spider lately and I'm pretty enamored with it--keeps a lot of that stuff out of the wort.

I'm hoping the surface area (11.5" diameter) of the bucket screen will help with the clogs. I had been transferring directly into fermenter with a large funnel with a built in screen. The screen was maybe 4"-5" though and clogged very easily. Glad to hear your hop spider works well for you. I'm strictly a 2.5 gal brewer so my hops amounts will usually be less than a 5 gal brewer.

Any wholesale painters supply shop/store should have them. Don't know if they will be cheaper. I've been using them for years got mine from the guy that painted my house.

Any wholesale painters supply shop/store should have them. Don't know if they will be cheaper. I've been using them for years got mine from the guy that painted my house.
How are they working out for you? Never even thought about checking a painters supply i.e. Sherwin Williams. I didn't even know these damn things existed until now. DOH!

That looks really useful Fuzzy. I have a smaller strainer and it takes a while to get the wort through it. I wish I had one of those.

They work GREAT.
I use mine when transferring wort from the boil pot to the fermenter. Reason is I only do 2 gallon batches and use 2 gallon paint buckets. I can't afford to have the hop trub in the fermenter. I need to get as much of the wort in as I can.

Latest posts

Back