5 Gallon BIAB batch on glass induction cooktop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byronyasgur

Reaction score
I am currently doing 3 Gallon BIAB batches on my glass induction cooktop but it's a 2 ( 9 litre ) pot setup. I want to get a new kettle and I was planning on getting a 30 litre ( 7.5 gallon ) cookpot/stockpot so I can do 5 gallon batches and not have to mess with 2 cookpots. Some people have raised concern about the max weight the hob could take. It's tempered glass and tbh I'd say myself it could handle it and I have searched for someone breaking one by overloading one ( as opposed to dropping something on it ) and I can't find anything. This leads me to wonder if they're harder to break than one would think. Still it cost quite a bit and I don't fancy replacing it so I was wondering what the max that people have loaded up their glass hobs so successfully or if anyone has cracked one or heard of one being cracked and what weight. I have searched online and none of the manufacturers appear to want to give a max weight from what I can see. There's some talk about this on the web. My own hob is a De Deitrich. It's a wide model with 5 plates.
I guess any kind of glass hob would be much the same as regards weight - ie non induction

I looked into this same topic last year when we got a new oven, and I concluded that they will hold a LOT more than you think. I found posts from folks who stood on them to reach something, for example. Until this week, I've been doing my mash on a kettle on the stovetop (5 gals + grain in one pot, 3-4 gallons of water in the other pot for sparge water). Done dozens of batches this way with no problem. When I searched, I couldn't find any instance of someone cracking a cooktop by overloading it.

I don't think you will have any issue whatsoever, but of course you will want to be even more carefuler moving the pot when full to avoid scratching the cooktop.

Back