5 gallon Batches & Fermentation Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to brewing kombucha and have the equipment for bigger batches from years of brewing beer (5-6 gallons). I also have the equipment to keep the fermentation temperature at the optimal 78F-80F using a fermentation chamber and a heating pad.

I am curious to know how long it should take for a 5 gallon batch of kombucha to ferment (assuming enough starter liquid (5-10 cups) and healthy-sized SCOBY was used along with precise temp controll)? Obviously, the fermentation time depends on how you like your booch (sweeter vs more vinegar-like). In the "Big Book of Kombucha", the author says it should take 18-42 days, which seems like a really long time. I have tasted the batch after 5 days and in my opinion, it's almost ready! It's crisp, sweet-tart, but not TOO sweet and not vinegar-like at all.

Let me know ya'lls thoughts, and what experience you all have had with bigger 5+ gallon batches.

I brew 3 gallon batches in a SS Brewtech mini brew bucket. My wife and I like sour Kombucha, not sweet Kombucha. It typically takes 3 weeks per batch for us. Here is my typical process:

1. make 2 1/2 gallons of sweet tea. I make sun tea by putting the water and tea bags in 1 gallon jars and letting them sit in the sun all day while I am at work.

2. Add the sugar to the sun tea after it is made.

3. Add the 2 1/2 gallons of sweet tea to the fermenter and add 1/2 gallon of starter tea and a SCOBY. Cover the fermenter with cloth to allow air flow.

4. At 3 weeks, if the Kombucha tastes right, I remove the SCOBY and 1/2 gallon of starter tea and store them in a closed container. I then add fruit, juice, herbs or whatever flavor my recipe calls for. I replace the cloth cover with the regular brew bucket lid and an airlock, just like brewing beer.

5. After 5-7 days with fruit/juice/herbs, I keg 2 1/2 gallons of flavored Kombucha, let it sit at room temperature for a few more days and then put it in my keezer on CO2. After it cools down and carbonates, I put it on tap.

6. Repeat steps 1-5.

Back