5/16 Flare to 1/4 flare. How?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've inherited a double regulator with multiple ports that seems to be 5/16 flare, based on OD of male threads 0.494 (close enough to 0.500) and ID of female thread at 0.442, close enough to 29/64 or 0.453) to match 5/16" flare

I cannot seem to locate and easy to convert from 5/16 MFL to 8mm PTC or 1/4 flare. My search fu is weak and I seek assistance. Thanks.

1/4" NPT uses a 7/16" drill bit for the hole. The tap removes more material than that. If possible, test with a 1/4" NPT fitting in one of the holes. I purchased several 1/4" NPT to 1/4" MFL check valves for use (changed regulator out port fittings for one thing).

It's clearly flare, @Golddiggie , or so I thought. Here are some pics, @day_trippr .
1642165065297.png
1642165129699.png

Attachments

• 1642165160335.png
    1642165160335.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
I must be missing something. Seems like it should work. The 50 thou delta or so is the height of the threads themselves?

So, does it not go together? I'm sure you must have tried. Do you think it's inherently wrong (like - no way these work) or maybe something just has a nick in it and is hard to get started, or needs a tiny touch of keg lube or something?

There are also different flare angles - 37 and 45 degree I think. Maybe there's a mismatch there? Not sure if the threads are the same or not. Probably are but maybe a thing to look at.

You can probably unscrew the offending piece and replace it easily enough.

I must be missing something. Seems like it should work.

It is larger than 1/4" flare fittings, as typically found on QDs.
The cap nut I pulled off one port of the regulator falls over the QD 1/4"MFL threads.
My suspicion is that it is 5/16" flare on the old regulator.

My question is all about trying to find a 5/16" flare female fitting, that then gets me to a "std" 1/4" male flare fitting, so I can attach gas.

I am removing all existing hoses as they are gunked up from previously (I think) being backflushed by beer in years past, or just never changed over many many years. I would rather not simply toss the regulator if I don't have to.

Is that a manifold or regulator? If the regulator has 1/4" NPT fittings, I'd just change that so you can use standard/easy to find size fittings/connections. Instead of hunting for a non-standard (for brewing at least) fitting size.

It is an old Coke setup and those air lines are freaking wire-reinforced, double layer finger death to remove.

Did not think about simply replacing at the regulator, thanks.

I cannot find 5/16 male flare to 1/4 male flare adapter, which is why I started this. I'd just like to find this kind of thing, thinking I"d just screw it on existing 5/16, if that's what it is, and give me a 1/4 male flare fitting I hook all the rest of my (for instance John Guest PTC, 1/4 female flare to 8mm tubing) stuff to:
1642171135979.png

Is that a manifold or regulator? If the regulator has 1/4" NPT fittings, I'd just change that so you can use standard/easy to find size fittings/connections. Instead of hunting for a non-standard (for brewing at least) fitting size.

Think we have the answer, silly to not have thought of it, thanks @Golddiggie .

"simply" removed the manifold, and part of my thumb, and test fit an existing part I had, presumably 1/4 npt to 1/4 male flare valve.
1642173239172.png

1642173259908.png

Thanks everyone.

Time to find the Bandaids.

It looks like one is a flare (machined) thread and the other is NPT. These fittings are intentionally designed to not fit together, to keep combustible hydrocarbon hookups flared and water, air hookups NPT with Teflon tape.

It looks like one is a flare (machined) thread and the other is NPT. These fittings are intentionally designed to not fit together, to keep combustible hydrocarbon hookups flared and water, air hookups NPT with Teflon tape.

Yeah I'll need to get the Teflon tape on it when I actually install it.

If you are running 3-5 psi stnd. tubing and Gates hose clamps will work, I am setting up a nitrogen pressurized system to prevent oxidation will keep 3 psi constant on system.

Back