4 faucet kit. Can anyone meet or beat this price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redraider

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a used chest freezer and setting it up with four Cornelius kegs. I'd like draft faucets rather than picnic faucets. I found the following kit at kegconnection.com: 4 Faucet Refrigerator Conversion Homebrew Kit, Premium Kit. Can I beat this price for a kit elsewhere? Can I build this kit a la carte and beat this price? Can I get a better quality setup in a similar price range? Thanks ahead of time!

Kegconnection is a great vendor with good service and fast shipping. I got a smaller 2 keg set-up through them and was very happy with my purchase. You could spend a lot of time searching and it's unlikely you are going to find a significantly better price anywhere.

Here is the only caution I would advise. Depending on how soon you want to be fully up and running and how much you want to spend I would consider this kit from them.
4 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Standard Kit

The difference is the kit I posted comes with picnic taps instead of metal faucets. The reason I reccommend this system is there really is no substitute for Perlick Faucets which the kit you are looking at does not have. Other faucets such as the ones you are looking at work at first, but they are extremely prone to sticking (do some searches on sticking beer faucets) and also harder to keep clean. Eventually you would likely be upgrading the metal faucets anyway to Perlicks. Most people do. Yes the Perlicks cost more, but this is one of those situations where it is worth it. Save the money from the cheaper metal faucets now, and add to it until you have enough for the Perlicks. They do occaisionally go on good sales or there are group buys.

I bought a 2 tap system with picnics maybe 2 or 3 months ago and just finished getting all my perlicks and shanks a week or two ago to set-up a 3 tower system in my kegerator. I plan on doing the switchover soon.

Just my opinion, but I think you'll find many people who agree.

Yep, I believe that I paid a little over two hundred for two spout kit. I was looking for the shut off valves, as you will want to carb one and just purge enough to dispense the other three kegs. This one has it. I would jump on it. I also got the Perlicks, and upgraded to the 10# CO2. Since then, I bought a 5# bottle for backup. I have had no issues, and also bought from kegconnection.

Zen,

I admit I have not done much searching for the Perlick faucets yet, but would these 525SS, Perlick Foward Seal, Stainless Steel Beer Faucet do the job? Assuming I went with the kit you suggested, adding four of these Perlick's would only be about $30 more than the kit I originally looked at ($32.39 x 4 = $129.56.). Any thoughts?

Yep, that is the puppy you want. You however missed the 4 shanks you will also need. They were included in the first kit you were looking at.
* Shanks - All Sizes - Choose Your Size!

So if you use kegconnection that is another 12.95 x 4 =51.80

I don't know how they are different either, but they recomend the Perlick. It sounded good to me, and I have not had to open them up yet. I have used them consistantly for about a year. I just run sanitizer through them.

You beat me to the punch. I just went back to edit my post to include that, but you'd already done it. You're fantastic. I love these boards. Is that everything I'd need other than a dial thermostat and freezer?

For me, I didn't have all the cash to get everything I wanted all at once, so the way I looked at it was I had my kegerator, and a functional 2 keg system with picnic taps. It allowed me to get used to working with a co2 system, and a couple months later I had the cash and found some deals on the perlicks and shanks. Just need to build my tower now.

Stuntman,

How many kegs has that ten pound tank lasted you in the past between refills? Five pound?

You beat me to the punch. I just went back to edit my post to include that, but you'd already done it. You're fantastic. I love these boards. Is that everything I'd need other than a Johnson controller and freezer?

Well, most people build the sidewall up with wood so they can mount the faucets through that rather than risk hitting cooling lines in the freezer. You probably already knew that, but thought I'd mention it. It is commonly referred to as a collar. Here is a DIY link.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-collar-coastarine-way-99753/

Other than that ....just add beer :mug:
You should be ready to rock.

5lb co2 is supposed to be good for about 4 to 5 5 gallon kegs. I've gone through about 3-1/2 kegs so far and still going. Depends on how high you dispense at, and if you force carb etc. I'd assume you pretty much can double that for a 10lb bottle.

Oh, and if you have the cash for everything right now why not contact kegconnection and ask if they'll give you a package upgrade price to go to the perlick faucets. They are a great vendor, and a vendor member here, and you never know till you ask. They might knock a few bucks off the individual prices.

Cheers and enjoy the kegging system. You're gonna love it!

Yep, that is an equally functional collar. I just pulled a link out of the DIY section.

I don't think you mentioned the size freezer you would be using, which will ultimately decide if you can fit in the kegs and co2. Since I'm on a kegerator you can probably get better info on keg/co2 layout of keezers from some of the keezer owners.

I can tell you the main advantage of going inside with the co2 is a neat appearance.

The main downside of going inside is your high pressure gage will read lower than expected as gas has a large expansion coefficient at temperature, and the co2 contracts at lower temperature. It has no real effect on the keg side pressure gage or how the unit functions.

I got a 2-tap setup from kegconnection and am very happy with it. I'm looking to expand this to 4 soon and will probably go back to them rather than hunt around to save a few dollars simply because the service was very good and the product delivered in great condition.

If you have any customization requests, just talk to those guys, they will figure it out with you, whether it's perlicks or any other upgrade you are interested in.

G'luck!

I'm thinking about a freezer in the neighborhood of 7 cubic feet. I'm hoping to find a used one at a reasonable price (the last one on craigslist went in a matter of hours...shoot). If I can't find one used, I'm thinking about the Magic Chef freezer (Magic Chef 7.2 Cu. Ft. Manual Defrost Chest Freezer - MCCF7WBX at The Home Depot). I know there are a number of other alternatives in this size and price range, but I'll get into those more if I can't find a used one first. It sounds like I'd benefit from the 10 pound CO2 tank, but dependent upon height, the 5 pound is more likely to fit inside whatever freezer I end up with. Also, I figure I can always make it a reserve if I end up wanting the 10 pound sometime down the line.

My primary reason for wanting to place the tank inside the freezer is a cosmetic/space issue. I have a great spot for the freezer in my "brew room" (a converted dining room), but my apartment is small and I don't really want extra hoses and tanks surrounding the freezer. I can definitely live with four kegs. I honestly doubt very seriously that I'll ever need or desire any more than that so the thought of losing that space for a 5 pound CO2 tank is completely fine by me. ****Fine print: I of course reserve the right to change my opinion on this matter at any point, with or without cause.

Forrest,

I'd be really interested in hearing what you can put together. PM me when you have something.

Stuntman,

How many kegs has that ten pound tank lasted you in the past between refills? Five pound?

With the 10 gallon bottle, at least 12, 5 gallon kegs, I am using them to force carbonate as well. I am going to start throwing in priming sugar to carb in the future. That way I will save on CO2. The 5# bottle had force carbed two 5 gallon kegs and hasn't moved the needle at all yet. I waste a lot, by venting to pour some, and then restating the pressure to thirty pounds if I don't have enough carbonation.

Back