374.6 IBU's Using beercalculus this is what i came up with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppedIPA

Reaction score
Can that even be close to accurate or did i do something totally wrong?

Malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
78% 8 0 Alexander's Pale Extract 32 4
12% 1 4 Alexander's Wheat Extract 32 3
5% 0 8 Cara-Pils/Dextrine 33 2
5% 0 8 Crystal 20L 34 20
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
(1.058 to 1.068)
Final Gravity
(1.014 to 1.017)
Color
7° SRM / 14° EBC
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 2.0 Nugget pellet 12.8
boil 50 mins 2.0 Nugget pellet 12.8
boil 40 mins 2.0 Nugget pellet 12.8
boil 20 mins 2.0 Nugget pellet 12.8
boil 20 mins 2.0 Cascade pellet 5.7
boil 5 mins 2.0 Nugget pellet 12.8
boil 5 mins 2.0 Cascade pellet 5.7
dry hop 12 days 2.0 Nugget pellet 12.8
dry hop 7 days 2.0 Cascade pellet 5.7
Boil: 6.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
374.6 IBU / 77 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

Wyeast American Ale (1056)

6.5% ABV / 5% ABW

Looks about right for adding over a pound of hops (especially with those AAUs). The longer you boil the hops, the more IBUs you'll extract. Typically, unless you're going for an imperial IPA, you'd see a 1 oz addition at 60, and then the next addition would be around 30 mins. For what it's worth, I've read that the human palate cannot detect more than about 100 IBUs, so you'd really be using a lot of hops to no effect (other than perhaps extracting a vegetal taste). Personally, I'd back off quite a bit on the early additions. Nothing wrong with throwing in massive amounts towards the end of the boil (although perhaps not that massive). Just my $0.02.

It is true that the human tongue can only handle about 100-120IBU, however, it can handle a crapful of FLAVOR. that is why late additions are so common in IPAs. It wouldn't have the drastic IBUs, but if you moved that same amount to later additions you would be getting more use per oz of hop. Also, do not forget to calculate in wort due to hop loss. With 18oz of hops you have to calculate over an extra 3.5gal of wort. Meaning for 5 gals you have to calculate for an 8.5 gal post boil volume.

if nothing else, move the 50 and 40 min additions to 25 mins and beyond. any flavor they will add is going to boil off at taht amount of time and will only contribute bitterness.

that amount of hops for a brew is insane but hey its your money

Thanks Everyone I will adjust the rates alittle bit and reconfigure. I have found how to purchase HOP's direct from the "farm" using Willamette Valley Hops which is one of the largest producers of hops in Oregon. They use to sell their hops to AB before the in-bev buyout... and they said they actually created Millennium Hops for inbev in 1989 which came to market in 2000 hence the name Millennium.. I got my Nugget for $0.33 per oz so really its not much money to use even a pound or half pound of hops.. if anyone wants more info on them let me know privately..

i love hops, but that recipe sets my teeth on edge...

HAHAHAHA>>> :ban: Me too! But really i never EVER had a beer too bitter ... and i have had almost every IPA you can get in KS,MO,CO,TX,and Ca... Ok i will back it off alittle bring it down to about 180 IBU's i will play with the beercalculas tonight some more..

I have made IIPA with hopping rates in that range. Hops add more then bitterness and that is part of what goes on in IIPAs. But it sounds like you are not entending to hop in that range, so, yes, back off on the hops.

I would go for a beer as hoppy as i can make but i dont like the normal sweetness you find in many brewerys douple ipa's.. If it didnt make the beer bad i would go for it as its not a cost issue.. and the very least i would learn if its Too much or not.. I have decided to do a full Nugget brew to showcase the nugget hops vs confuse with the added Cascade.. Just enjoyed a Summit IPA that had only Summit Hops mmmmm what do you think Brewpastor?
I have made IIPA with hopping rates in that range. Hops add more then bitterness and that is part of what goes on in IIPAs. But it sounds like you are not entending to hop in that range, so, yes, back off on the hops.

Back