30min in and already BREWDAY FROM HELL!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
Step 1 - mash in 30lbs of grain.
Step 2 - notice false bottom sitting on counter.
Step 3 - lift massively heavy keg and dump contents into kettle, actually avoiding the floor for the most part. Lots of splashing though. Is hotside aeration a myth???
Step 4 - get mash back on track.
Step 6 - Transformer in neighborhood blows, power is lost, pumps don't work.

WTF!!!!!!!!

ouch that is awful! I just mashed in and getting everything sanitized right now. Im making a cream ale today.

Ho many people you suppose would add "make sure false bottom is in place" to their checklist?

me and you. i use mine for other things, so even after ive cleaned it out, there is a chance ive removed the FB. another on the list would be to make sure all my damn ball valves were closed. and to make sure my spare propane was full.

hahaha...sorry man. Hope it ends up okay.

I brewed a saison on Sunday and I didn't forget the false bottom. It did, however, detach itself from the hose during the sparge. Opened up the valve and...nothing. Totally clogged with grain. Good times.

I forgot to replace my diptube in my mash tun once, took me a few head scratching minutes when the recirculation slowed to figure out there was now grain clogging the small piping of the brew magic. I unplugged it stood back and shook my head and went to bed. Had to take all the piping apart and jam a hose up against each section of pipe, oh and it was low 40's that next day.

I had a bad brewday on saturday and actually threw in the towel. I should have stopped when I forgot I was filling a bucket with water and then went inside. I come out to an overflowing bucket and water over everything. Soaked my notebook, flooded the drawers in the cabinets. Should have stopped there.

Finally got it mashing and turned on my RIMS pump, instant stuck mash. AWESOME. Tried to get it moving by blowing air through the line which only succeeded in blowing my CPVC manifold apart. I didn't know it was apart until I turned my pump back on and plugged it with grain. At that point, I called it a day and went inside. Grain is cheap, not being able to relax while doing my hobby is not worth it.

There must be something in the air! Saturday after mashing out I noticed I was a little over a gallon low in my kettle. I added a gallon to the boil and everything went ok after that. Then after pitching my yeast and putting the fermenter in the chamber I noticed my vial with my brewing salts sitting on top. They never made it into the mash.:mad:

another on the list would be to make sure all my damn ball valves were closed.

That one happens to me probably more often than not.

Other things that have happened in the past: The hose out from my immersion chiller shot off and sent a geyser of water in the air landing perfectly down into the brew kettle. Faulty gasket on the beer out side of a keg while carbonating spewed 5gal of beer all over the place.

another on the list would be to make sure all my damn ball valves were closed. and to make sure my spare propane was full.

I have done both of these, the ball valve was almost funny.. Was dumping my sparge water into my HLT cooler, and was wondering why my foot was getting so warm. Looked down and the ball valve was open and dumping sparge water onto my boot, was glad I had water proof boots on that day.

I had it easy compared to you guys; yesterday was bottling day for four gallons of saison. - the culmination of my first foray into real home brewing, after using a Mr. Beer kit one time and then having its fermenter blow out of my pickup bed.

I hooked a cane and bottle filler together, by slipping them into the ends of the vinyl tubing my LHBS sold me along with them... found out that isn't enough for an airtight connection, in spite of what I was told. Also found out generic Scotch-type tape doesn't help the seal much. Eventually, I discovered electrician's tape works fine.

Then I ran into one of the facts of life: when your siphon goes from a small tube to a larger one, you get cavitation. Which is a fancy way of saying my vinyl tubing stayed mostly full of air even with no air leaks, while the beer trickled down one side of it.

Finally I tossed the cane, and stuffed the vinyl tubing directly into the carboy. That worked fairly well, except that the tubing curled around and plastered its end against the side of the carboy. So I had to pull it out and cut an angle on it. That did the job.

But of course, every time I took something apart and put it back together, or lost siphon and had to restart it, I spilled beer. Eventually I started using my (grown) nephew as a siphon pump. He'd pull the spring-loaded end off the bottle filler and slip a piece of tubing onto it, suck on it to start the flow, then remove the tubing and replace the end of the bottle filler.

That worked, except for the amount of beer spilled on the floor in spite of using a large roaster pan to catch it. Not to mention that my nephew wound up about half snockered. He's a lightweight when it comes to drinking, but couldn't bring himself to spit out beer instead of swallowing it. And it's some pretty potent stuff:D

So I wound up with 35 bottles from four gallons of beer. Could have been a lot worse. But I also found out during all the unintended taste-testing that I front-loaded my hops; I added too many of them at the beginning of the boil and not enough at the end. So my saison is probably going to taste more like an IPA.

And of course the wife was all kinds of help, coming through periodically to make comments like, "normal people make beer in their barns, not in their wives' kitchens." Totally ignoring the fact that I don't have a barn, and never claimed to be normal. But in the name of peace, I'll probably do the next bottling session at our other house.

Oh well, getting ready to start another batch this coming weekend. I look forward to discovering a whole new list of ways to screw things up....:mug:

i don't consider it a brew day from hell unless i burn myself. which i do all the time.

Yesterday, knocked my crusher over and had grain all over the floor. Then I was doing dunk sparge biab next to my kettle and bent over to close to burner and singed what little hair I have on my head. I started drinking after all that and things got better.

Back