$300 to invest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cokronk

Reaction score
With my taxes I have about $300 to invest after my next purchase.

I have a basic beer kit with a fermenting bucket, bottling bucket, carboy, and other doo-dads. Tonight I'm going to order a corny keg and keg to co2 kit. I already have a large co2 tank.

I'm only doing extracts right now, but is there something I should invest in? I want to start doing all grain eventually, so is there something(s) I should look at buying? I did see 4 Corny Kegs for $115 on one site that was recommend on here. I think that may be one possible purchase so I can do more than one batch at a time.

ill be the first everyone else will say it to worth chiller. Mke it if your diy friendly or buy one. Just get one and you wont be sorry. Or wiat if your not doing full boils yet get a big brew pot.

If you want to go all grain, the cheapest way is to go BIAB. I bought a propane burner (Bayou Classic SP-10) and a 60qt aluminum brew kettle. Also, I bought a 24" x 24" bag from my LHBS. Cost about $100 for everything, and I've been brewing all grain for a few months now. Works like a charm!

Temperature control.
Get a 7+ Cubic foot freezer chest, or an old refrigerator off Craig's list for free-$100 and a temperature controller. If you follow the DIY thread here for ebay aquarium temperature controller project you can spend as little as 30 or get a Ranco ETC from Patriot supply for ~60. then you will still have at least 150 to spend on copper and fittings to build a Wort chiller...or get a 40 plate chiller from KegCowboy for $89. Gremlyn1 got one from him, it's really nice looking. :mug:

+1 Wort Chiller

For $300 you could get a temp controller and look around Craigslist to get a chest freezer or fridge and make a fermentation chamber. I just did this for under $150 total and having the complete control over fermentation temperature is awesome.

EDIT: Like he said... haha.

I'll vote for a massive pot...i just bought a 32qt and already wish it was about double that size.

I love my wort chiller...AG or PM you probably want one of these...

If you're heading in the direction of all grain... i'd think a cooler would be a good investment (and you could use it if you start with a few partial mashes also...)

If you're decent at making things, make a IC wort chiller (<$25 for 20' of 3/8" copper, some tubing, and a hose fitting to the sink, total under $40)...

Second the BIAB all grain method...

Get a 32-40 quart pot (aluminum is great, and cheaper than SS, properly conditioned, you'll have zero issues)...

If you do go all grain, think about getting a barley crusher... But only if the store you get the grain from charges more to crush it. You can go a good amount of time using grain crushed by someone else. If it's sealed well, it will keep for a couple/few months (longer if you vacuum pack it)...

Get some HOPS!!

+5 for setting up a fermentation chamber...

I'd say top item, for me (I already have an IC) would be a fermentation chamber... Of course, I'm about to order a grain mill too, but only because I'm about to have some sacks of grain on hand... :D

Having a tight control on the temperature your wort is fermenting at is probably one of the easiest things you can do to get even better brew...

For $40 I will make you a custom, monogrammed sparge-o-matic sparging device!
(shipping extra)

sparge-o-matica.jpg

Wort chiller +1
60qt or bigger kettle +1
Outdoor propane burner +1
Temp controller +1
CO2 with whatever is left over ++1

A lifetime of great beer making - priceless

Oops. I guess I should have mentioned this. I already have a turkey frier and large aluminum pot. A friend of mine is giving me an old freezer chest as well.

So it looks like I'll need a temperature control, and a wort chiller. What about a Mash Tun? Is that something I should make? I should probably find out what it's for first.

sorry, but I have to disagree with a lot of people here voting for wort chiller. I been brewing for half a year now, I started extract and moved AG since begining of this year. I brew every single weekend BIAB 5 gal batches, I have everything, fleet of carboys, freezer with temp controller, kegging eqiupment, turkey fryer, grain mill, you name it. I stock 130 lbs of bulk & speciality grains in my house but beleive it or not I don't have a wort chiller yet :) and my beers come out just great! I do no-chill ales & lagers and out 10 or so batches not one get infected or spoiled and my beer is clear. May be it has something to do with cold canadian winters, it only takes few hours to chill my cube outside and I don't pitch till 24 hours later. Wort chiller is next on my list but its not something you will die without.

sorry, but I have to disagree with a lot of people here voting for wort chiller. I been brewing for half a year now, I started extract and moved AG since begining of this year. I brew every single weekend BIAB 5 gal batches, I have everything, fleet of carboys, freezer with temp controller, kegging eqiupment, turkey fryer, grain mill, you name it. I stock 130 lbs of bulk & speciality grains in my house but beleive it or not I don't have a wort chiller yet :) and my beers come out just great! I do no-chill ales & lagers and out 10 or so batches not one get infected or spoiled and my beer is clear. May be it has something to do with cold canadian winters, it only takes few hours to chill my cube outside and I don't pitch till 24 hours later. Wort chiller is next on my list but its not something you will die without.

I don't think people will disagree that you can't make perfectly fine beers without one (wort chiller). Its just it speeds up process for most people. If you don't pitch for 24 hours why don't you use the no chill method?

I'm really happy to not be washing bottles..With kids and car projects, time is short, draft beer is cool. Then again, I'm easily distracted by shiny sparkly stuff. Get it all, have fun, you only live once!

I didn't have anything go wrong when I was brewing extract recipes and chilling with ice (into the wort)... I even did ok using the ice bath/sink method (total PITA though)... Having the wort chiller (IC) made it easier to get the (full boil volume) wort chilled down... Plus, it's faster, so that you can pitch the yeast and start that baby fermenting sooner.

Since I don't live in Canada, I don't have the cold weather advantage that you have. IF I had a way to chill down my wort without using any resources, I'd probably use it too. Right now, space in my one bedroom apartment is getting even tighter, since I have several brews in process (beer and mead)... Plus, I'm about to pick up almost 400# of grain... Going to have to get creative with storing that...

For the OP, you can either buy, or make, your own mash tun... It really depends on how much grain you'll be looking to mash per batch. Getting a 10 gallon (or larger) cooler to convert would be a good choice... You can often find 10 gallon coolers already converted at LHBS or online. If you want larger, you'll probably need to do it yourself (not that difficult, provided you get the right fittings).

For the temp controller, those are not too expensive (often in the $50-$80 range)... You could get a 50' IC chiller (3/8" copper), a plate chiller, or CFC chiller easily for not a lot either (probably under $100).. So it leaves you with a bit more to get... With what's left you could get more kegs, a barley crusher, or something else to help you along... If you're making the jump to all grain sooner rather than later, get the crusher... If it's going to be later, and you can use the kegs, get them... You could also get some additional testing equipment. Such as a PH meter, refractometer (didn't see that on your list of what you have already) or something else that will help you in brewing for the long term...

+1, I do full boils and chill with ice. I can chill it and pitch in under an hour. That doesn't mean I don't want a wort chiller, I just don't want to pay for one.

I don't think people will disagree that you can't make perfectly fine beers without one (wort chiller). Its just it speeds up process for most people. If you don't pitch for 24 hours why don't you use the no chill method?

thats exactly whay I do. I dont bother with ice/water baths etc, so I don't see how IC would be easier than no-chil. I just dump everything in cube wait 24 hours and pitch, doesn't get easier and faster than that.

+1, I do full boils and chill with ice. I can chill it and pitch in under an hour. That doesn't mean I don't want a wort chiller, I just don't want to pay for one.

The thing is I don't chill at all :D I really don't understand what the hype is all about immediate wort chilling. I dump my wort in jerrycan and leave it for 24 hours. I get cold break just as well if I leave my no-chill cube outside in winter (might not work as good in summer thought) for couple hours. I never detected any DMS which supposed to be there when you slowly cool your wort, my beers just as clear so I'm not really worried, at least till summer

Simple solution... Make your own...

I didn't want to pay what others were charging for an IC... So I picked up the parts and made one myself. Sure, the manufactured ones probably have tighter coils, and fancy bends, but mine can chill down 5-5.5 gallons of boiled wort to the 60-65F range in about 15-20 minutes (tops)... Lower end of the time, if I stir the wort while it chills, higher number if I don't.

I'm thinking about making another one from 50' of 3/8" tubing... With that one, I should get better cooling times, plus it will handle 10 gallon batches. I'll keep my current one in case I need to use it to pre-chill the water in the summer time.

You can usually find 50' of 3/8" copper tubing (utility grade) for about $50 (or less) from the big stores like Lowe's and Home Depot...

If I lived in Alaska, I'd probably only use a chiller if I brewed during the hottest time of the year... Although unless there's a heat wave, you probably wouldn't need to do much to chill wort... Probably have a bigger concern with bears... :eek:

I'd start with the stuff that can make the most improvement to your beer, whether AG or extract. To wit:

Freezer or fridge for keg storage, chilling and dispensing. If you go the freezer route, you'll need a temperature controller.
Stir plate and large (2 liters +) vessel for yeast starters.
Some way to control ferment temperatures.

As a DIY'er, I usually try to make these items myself, although I had so many problems with my el-cheapo stir plate build that I finally gave in and bought a real stir plate for around $90.

All of these items will take you to the next level in terms of beer quality, regardless of whether you are brewing AG or extract. I'm another no-chill convert, so I wouldn't necessarily go straight to a chiller.

Latest posts

Back