30 oz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shbrewer

Reaction score
Someone in the local paper has 30oz bottles for homebrewing for sale. I have never heard of this size. Could it be growlers? He has 8 cases for $6 a case. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Leo

shbrewer said:
Someone in the local paper has 30oz bottles for homebrewing for sale. I have never heard of this size. Could it be growlers? He has 8 cases for $6 a case. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Leo

Me, either, but doesn't mean that they don't exist. They should be pretty obviously about half again as big as a bomber.

If so, that's a pretty good size. Not sure how many you'd be planning on picking up, but if you're buying a couple cases from the guy anyway, I'd appreciate it if you grabbed all of them and I'll buy from you however many you don't want.

Bird since you are part of the Western Mass brewing alliance (just made that up) I will pick up 4 cases and hold 2 for you. If they are valid bottles for home brew then I will tak them all and split with you. We could meet sometime in NOHO and do a trade. Sound good? You could PM me if you like.
Leo

Check what size cap they use. I'd take some standard ones along just to be certain.

I bet they are 32 oz (quart) bottles. They are common in Mexico, and are good and sturdy returnables. I think they used to bottle in quarts in the U.S. a long time ago.

troybinso said:
I bet they are 32 oz (quart) bottles. They are common in Mexico, and are good and sturdy returnables. I think they used to bottle in quarts in the U.S. a long time ago.

My guess, as well. Twenty years ago, I worked in a liquor store in inner city Milwaukee. We used to sell 32 oz. returnables (singly) to a very small market of mostly elderly alcoholics. I believe they were all brewed by Walters Brewing Co. of Eau Claire, which is long out of business. Wish I'd have saved some of those bottles!

david_42 said:
Check what size cap they use. I'd take some standard ones along just to be certain.

That's a good idea. It's also possible they might be twist tops, which would not be fun.

Back