3-tier all-grain system. No welding.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fat

Reaction score
I've gotten a few requests for info about my all-grain system (dimensions, materials, etc...) so I decided to put it all in a blog post once and for all... If you're interested in building a simple 3-tier, single-infusion, semi-portable, all-grain brewing sculpture without welding and maybe need a tip or two to get started... give it a read:
http://www.sleepydadbrewing.com/2009/12/e-wreck-tor-home-brewery.html

Lemme know what you think...

Very nice!!!

Couple of questions:
1. What size angle iron? Material? (galvanized, ss, etc)
2. What length bolts? 1"?

After viewing your build, I've already made the measurements and plan on building mine to similar dimensions.

Uncle Fat...any words of wisdom or issues that came up when designing/building?

Cheers!

Very nice!!!

Couple of questions:
1. What size angle iron? Material? (galvanized, ss, etc)
2. What length bolts? 1"?

After viewing your build, I've already made the measurements and plan on building mine to similar dimensions.

Uncle Fat...any words of wisdom or issues that came up when designing/building?

Cheers!

1. 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" galvanized slotted angle
2. I used 1/2" bolts, but 3/4" would work. They just have to be long enough to go through 2 pieces of angle iron, a nut and a washer...

Words of wisdom?? Just that the more obsessively you plan it out on paper, the better the finished product will be.

Good luck! Post pictures of your progress...

That looks great. Easiest build i have seen. I'm definitely building this when I go all grain.

I was thinking about using 2x4's for my stand, but I think I just changed my mind.

Mine will be all electric, the metal should make a nice ground.

:rockin:

I didn't see a cost break down for the metal. Just looking at this stuff at Lowe's, it seems pretty expensive. Any idea what the stand cost to build?

Another cool thing about that design is that, if you ever want to make changes, you just unbolt everything and start over. You might have to make some cuts or buy another piece, but most parts could be reused.

I didn't see a cost break down for the metal. Just looking at this stuff at Lowe's, it seems pretty expensive. Any idea what the stand cost to build?

Yeah... the metal can be expensive (especially @ hardware / home stores) it's cheaper online or from a metal yard. If you can get it under $1 per foot, that's pretty good. Mine probably cost somewhere around $200 for the frame (bought a couple of pieces at a time over several weeks). I'd imagine if you can find it @ a scrapyard, you could get a great deal...

It is a bit more costly than wood, but as someone mentioned, it's quite configurable. If you get a new mash-tun and need to adjust the platform heights, it's just a matter a few bolts. Also, you can put and move all the hooks you want around it to hang mash paddles, lighters, hoses, etc...

Thanks for the updated link, I was just about to gripe that the old one didn't work! :D

really like your set up!

couple questions, how is the stability, and about how much do you think it weighs?

Back