3 Roller Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 3 roller miller. Rollers basically are

O O
O
If the top left roller turn toward the right, then the top right roller turns toward the left (as the grains being driven by the left roller cause the right roller to turn toward the left).

My question. What way is the bottom roller turning?

I'm asking as I'm trying to determine why I'm having issues with my Malt Muncher 3.

I believe the drive roller turns the bottom roller, so the bottom roller turns the opposite of the drive roller, as the grain path is b/w the drive roller and the bottom roller.

The bottom roller gap is set off the drive roller, this is critical!

This video may help you assuming similar to monster 3 roller mill.

Yes, thanks. I realize the bottom is where the gap is set. A real PITA as must disassemble things to get to the roller to set.

After doing research on Friday I believe I've answered my question.

Turns right Turns left
O O

O
Turns left

....A real PITA as must disassemble things to get to the roller to set....

Since it sounds like you will be disassembling the mill to change a setting, why not use your feeler gauge and make multiple settings and mark those settings on the outside of the mill by the adjustment bolts/knobs. That way you can easily change your settings in the future. Something like .045, .040, .035 and .030 might help.

Since it sounds like you will be disassembling the mill to change a setting, why not use your feeler gauge and make multiple settings and mark those settings on the outside of the mill by the adjustment bolts/knobs. That way you can easily change your settings in the future. Something like .045, .040, .035 and .030 might help.
Great idea!

my 3 roller mill came with some marking like this but they were not accurate so I did just this with a set of feeler gauges. Turns out I never have to touch the adjustment anyway in my case though. I also learned that the gap on my 3 roller mill has to be larger than the gap on my 2 roller to get the same equivilent crush for some reason.
I have the same mill as the OP (malt munchier and kegco 3 roller are the exact same mill just different branding). BTW you will be happy to know weve put thousands of pounds of grain through ours at the brewpub now and its still good as new.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back