3/8" or 1/2"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
I'm about to add some ball valves to my keggle and brew pot. I have a march pump that I am incorporating into my system and have ran into a snag. I can do 1/2" valves and barbs, but my CFC has the 5/16 copper. Should I snag 3/8" barbs and tubing for the system? I was about to order some things and that issue crept in right before I pulled the trigger. What do you folks think?:confused:

Are you planning on using disconnects or hose barbs for you connections to the valves?

I would suggest you use 1/2" valves. You can use a 1/2" to 3/8" hose barb adapter to run into your CFC.

I believe I will be using barbs for the majority of the connections. I may do disconnects on the pump, but I still want the valves for the flow control. Would it make more sense to have all of the barbs 3/8" for system ease?

I use 1/2" on all of my hoses, valves and connections before my CFC.

I use adapters to go from 1/2" to 3/8" on the input of my CFC and the other way around on the output.

If you plan on expanding your brewery to include pumps, etc you will want 1/2".
Even if you don't think you will now you never know so buy once.

I agree with going with 1/2". Also be sure that the fittings such as barbs and valve are full flow / full ported. It makes a difference with pumps and chillers.

I have seen some valves and such that are not full port, what is the difference? I am sure I am going to go with 1/2 " and have some 3/8" barb for my chiller. BF, do you have the silicone tubing in 3/8?

The flow will be restricted by a standard port valve. The full port have a fatter body to allow for a full diameter bore through the ball.

I do not stock the 3/8" ID silicone tubing.

Latest posts

Back