3/4" Stainless Coupler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Reaction score
My wife says that I can be long winded, so I appologize in advance.

For years I have been doing 10 gal all grain batches in converted half barrels with only two outdoor propane burners. I recently commissioned a local metal fabricator (bartered with homebrew of course) to build me a MoreBeer-ish stand and also purchased a third burner. No more lifting 12 gallons of extract from the ground to the now vacated mash burner and stand. While I am at it, I have decided to go ahead and have thermometers installed in my mash and hot liquor tanks. This will be a giant advantage to using the one floating thermometer that is currently in service. (I did have a dial therm previously, but it disappeared. I think that in a semi-drunken brew session, I may have thrown it out with the spent grain)
I have chosen More Beer's thermometers to grace my improved brewhouse. They have a 1/2" mpt connection and 6" long by 1/4" diameter stem. This is fine for the hot liquor, but I feared that while I am stirring the mash, I will surely destroy the thermometer in the mash tun.
I googled thermowells, and ended up at St. Pat's. They have them and they are cheap. I chose the thermowell that would fit my thermometer. 6" long and receives a 1/2" mpt. All that is required is a 3/4" fpt coupler welded to the mash tun.
See, I'm terribly long winded.
So all I need to know is where I can find a reasonalby priced, i.e. not $30, 3/4" fpt coupler.
Thank you in advance
g

Welcome to the forums George...I look forward to tapping your years of experience.

Your lovely wife is a master of understatement...thanks for the warning. ;)

George, I think what you're looking for is referred to as a "nipple". Check your local plumbing suppy houses (maybe even Lowes/HD) or do a search on Grainger.com. I converted my keg about 10 years ago and, as I recall, the nipple is a $5-10 item. The tough part is finding a welder who will work for beer.
Jeff

Where did you get your thermowell? I'm looking for three of them for my 1/2" NPT 9" Ashcrofts, and I can't seem to beat $60-ish

I got my thermowells in, and the thermometers fit nicely, but there is a larger gap between the wall and the probe than I thought there would be, so I will need a lot of thermally conductive paste/gel. I've heard of graphite+glycerine being used. What did you use?

Perhaps it's not the most precise way of going about this, but I've decided to simply thread the thermometer to the thermowell, relax, and have a homebrew (which, thanks to a vacation, I'm doing right now).

Back