2row germ pils vs 2row vs pale ale malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackjama

Reaction score
First let me start with the reason i am asking this question is austin homebrew has 2 row malt for 99 cents a pound.

I have two recipes that i brew or am planning to brew. One calls for 2 row pils as the base(beecave kolsch)

The other calls for pale ale as the base (centennial)

Would i be making a mistake buying the 2 row malt from ahb to use in these recipes?

Otherwise what is the difference in the three malts?

Kolsch should be brewed with Pilsner malt. It is lighter and has a different flavor profile than pale ale malt. I use German Pilsner malt for my Kolsch.

EDIT: Domestic 2-row malt will usually be the least expensive...in the US.

Kolsch should be brewed with Pilsner malt. It is lighter and has a different flavor profile than pale ale malt. I use German Pilsner malt for my Kolsch.

EDIT: Domestic 2-row malt will usually be the least expensive...in the US.

Interestingly, Northern Brewer has been offering a special "Kölsch malt" sourced from a german malster that they claim is used by brewers in Köln. I assume its just a particular variety of Pils malt though.

Ok so there is a difference. Now i just need to find a recipe to go with this 99 cent brewers two row malt on sale at austin homebrew.

Back