2nd Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getatme11

Reaction score
My first attempt at cider making turned out ok. I used local fresh pressed cider, and a packet of yeast from the LHBS (can't remember which one I used, but I know it's not Nottingham). I was on a time crunch at the time trying to give it out as Christmas gifts so I let it ferment 2 weeks before bottling it and letting it carbonate. Now I want a sweeter carbonated cider, and would like some input.

Ingredients:
5 gallons Mott's Apple Juice
2 lbs brown sugar
1 can frozen AJ concentrate (to be added after fermentation to sweeten?)
Nottingham Yeast

Now, I've tried to read all I could but I often seem to find contradicting information so I want to double check. Aging seems to be important to most people, but then I read the recipe for 5 Day Country Cider. Is aging necessary for a sweet carbonated cider? While fermenting my first batch smelled of sulfur/rotten eggs, is that normal or did I most likely ferment at too high a temperature? When adding the concentrate to sweeten, do I need to also add priming sugar to carbonate in bottles?

I don't have a deadline like I did last time and I know the best beverages can't be rushed, so I want to start this tomorrow and do it right. Thanks!

Aging to me really depends on how it taste. If it has a really hot alcohol flavor or has an off-flavor or want it clearer then I age it. If it taste fantastic and I don't care about clarity (non-competition cider) then I bottle it after about a month.

As far as sulfur smell that is normal with unhappy yeast. I have noticed when I start to smell that (as well as adding in a little bit at the initial start) I add Yeast Nutrient and the smell will subside. Has to do with the lack of nutrients that are in Apple juice compared to malts.

As far as adding concentrate and additional priming sugar you have to be careful. Both are fully fermentable and will cause bombs if you don't stop (pasteurize) the yeast properly. (Read the Sticky)

I personally love Nottingham for my cider yeast.

I never thought of juice lacking nutrients for the yeast. Raisins are commonly used to keep the little yeasties happy, right? I'll have to read up and see how many i'd need for a 5 gallon batch.

This will also be my first attempt at pasteurizing my bottles. I know the sugar from the concentrate will continue to ferment, I just want to be able to keep some of the sweetness AND have carbonation. I'll probably skip the priming sugar and just go with the concentrate.

Is it common practice to cut back on the brown sugar, use frozen concentrate from the start and then use another can to carbonate??

I think it will all depend on what type of final product you are looking for. You had mentioned you wanted a more sweet carbonated cider, so I would probably consider the pasteurization sticky at the top of the cider forum. This seems to be the only method of getting sweet/carb'd without kegging and force carbing.

My personal opinion is to add sugar until you reach a specific gravity of 1.050 or so. This will leave you with more of a cider instead of treading into wine territory. (OG around 1.070?) This is just what I do, not set in stone.

CvilleKevin has a LOT of great info in his sticky thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

I don't use nutrient and go the raisin route. The theory is that it adds some tannins and some snacks for the yeasties. Since I use raisins, I haven't used the concentrate. I probably need to try that since some have said it adds complexity to store juice.

Thanks for the insight! I've read through the stickies, I just second guess myself about what I know about cider because the first batch I made didn't turn out as expected. Since that batch, I've read a lot and feel much more confident making another batch.

I'm also not positive my LHBS carries Nottingham so I've used the sticky to have some backup yeasts in mind.

Its been just over a week, and my cider has gone from 1.059 to 1.002 fermenting at 60F. Since I'm trying to get a sweeter cider (I plan on adding AJ concentrate before bottling and pasteurizing) would I be ok bottling now? A week seems really quick to me, but its where I expected to bottle it at.

Also, when I go to bottle is the sugar from the AJ concentrate enough to carbonate AND add sweetness or should I add a pack of priming sugar as well?

Back