2nd AG Batch - ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyk'd

Reaction score
Well, my second AG batch went MUCH smoother now that I test ran the new equipment last weekend. The equipment performed like it should, however, I still missed my mash temp by 7 degrees initially, like the weekend before, even though I preheated my MLT both time. I'll be perusing the threads on preheating again to make sure I'm not missing somthing.

Last weekend I tried the old, boil some extra water to bring the heat up routine and ended up filling my mash/lauter tun almost to the top before reaching my target 154. This time I just dumped the whole thing into my brewpot and raised the temperature that way; returning the mash to the MLT after hitting 158, just in case. It was cold outside today (for MS, 55?) so by the time I took the new temperature, I was right at 154. WOW, I actually hit it!

From that point on, it was smooth sailing. My sparge lasted exactly 1 hour, using my own sparge arm I made from CPVC to reach my desired volume. I enjoyed the sparge, it was kind of like watching rain fall.

The boil was the same as it ever was, except I had to crank up the heat to maintain the boil. Normally it's in the upper 70's and today was in the 50's, so I'm sure that was it.

My Irish Red Ale from last weekend was still occupying my 6.5 gallon glass carboy, so I had to go old school and use my bucket (had to dump the Star San I usually keep in it out).

The batch smelled insane and I'm sure it will be great. Here are some pictures of the adventure:

The "Three Tier" system:

The sparge:

The boil:

The cold break:

(cont.)

The Siphon Sprayer at work:

My fermentor collection:

My do it myself valve assembly (no leaks):

One last shot of my setup:

Aside from not hitting my target mash temperature on the first try, things went smooth and I had a blast brewing today. Even with the mishap, I ended around 6 hours into it, so I'm pretty happy.

I hope you enjoyed my pictures. Please let me know if there are any questions!

Thanks BeeGee. All I did was fit some tees and caps together to form the cross pieces, then drilled a bunch of 1/16th holes. I did double lines of holes off center on the bottom of each cross piece and the little side pieces. This causes the water to run from both sides and come together for a more random "rain fall" kind of sprinkle.

I had the idea awhile back and lo' and behold, it actually works!

I have nearly no channeling in my grain bed.

:cross:

I'll probably build a stand out of wood for now; the mini fridge will find a home soon anyway.

:)

Nice setup and congrats on the smooth brew!!! :mug:

The pics are cool - I enjoy reading a good post with nice photos!!!

Yeah I liked the pictures too. Looks like you get a lot of joy outta this.
I just don't get it myself trying to learn. But just getting started.
Congrats...quick question. How long will it take before you actually can drink the stuff? Yeah I'm totally a novice. My first post.

Here's my ESB recipe for anyone that's interested (it's what I brewed in this post and adapted from extract):

Grains
10lbs Pale 2 Row
1 lbs Crystal Malt 55L
1 lbs Victory Malt
.33 lbs Special "B"

Whole Leaf Hops
2oz Fuggles @ 60mins
1oz Kent Goldings @ 15mins

Yeast
WYeast# 1768 Special Bitter

This batch will be ready in about 5 weeks and I'll let everyone know how it came out then. It got off to a pretty steady fement in the first 24 hours and is still bubbling steady after two days.

I forgot to post my OG which came in at 1.056, about .004 from what Promash stated, but well within the range for an ESB, so once again, I'm happy.

One thing that really amazed me was how clear the water got on top of the grain bed. It went from coppery/orange to completely clear. I guess the fly sparge really worked!

Here's the grain bed towards the end of the sparge:

It really isn't hard to do AG. I recommend everyone get a few extracts under your belt until your familiar with the process and recipes, then gradually build your AG system. I can't wait to taste the finished product to compare.
:mug:

so what do you recommend as a first try? Never done this before, don't own anything...but am interested. Spyk'd you seem to know what you are talking about? Care to help out a newbee?

Spyk'd! I remember when you were a newb asking some ******* question about fermenting Hawaiian Punch or something (that's a exaggeration!). It's good to see you're coming along, and even better to see that you're still around! Best of luck with your AG. Heck, I think I gave you some advice last time around and I'm still working on building my AG set up!!!! You da man, bro!!!

Cheers!!! :mug:

Toot, you must be thinking of someone else. I've been posting advice to others from my 6+ years of experience as an extract brewer since May of 2006. You came along in November of 2006, with how much experience? Not sure, but I don't ever recall you giving me any advice whatsoever or me asking any advice for that matter.

I was off of work until July of '06 due to Katrina and posted a ton on here. I haven't been as active on here lately due to long hours at work.

So no, I didn't ask stupid NOOB questions, ever. I was not a newb when I started posting on here.

And no, I never inquired about Hawaiian Punch.

Surely you're thinking of someone else?:drunk:

Remind me to smack you whenever I see you.

:cross:

Latest posts

Back