26lb hopsdirect order just arrived

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caspio

Reaction score
26lbs of whole leaf hops were just delivered to the office. :rockin: They were supposed to show up on Friday, but UPS lost them in Sacramento. Anyway, they're here now and smell delicious.

IMAGE_121.jpg

IMAGE_118.jpg

TwoHeadsBrewing showing off his modeling skills:
IMAGE_120.jpg

As usual, HopsDirect is awesome. I'll need to get the packages home and on the scale, but I'm sure they followed the usual tradition of overpacking the bags. This time around the shipping was less than half as much as our previous order. 80 cents per ordered pound rocks! Time to brew up a huge IIIIIIIPA :D

Good God Man! Are you by chance brewing 20 gallon batches. That's quite a lot of hops. But I guess if you like that much hops. That would be 26 extra hoppy 5 gallon batches mmm hops

Good God Man! Are you by chance brewing 20 gallon batches. That's quite a lot of hops. But I guess if you like that much hops. That would be 26 extra hoppy 5 gallon batches mmm hops

Haha, we all do 10 gallon batches. I think if you put a full pound in a 5 gallon batch nothing would come out when you opened the ball valve on the kettle, all the liquid would have been absorbed. Actually, the order was a split between 6 people. I picked up amarillo, tetts, cascade, and centennial.

I kept it small because I still have some willamette, n. brewer and perle from our last bulk order. One of the people picked up a pound of citra, so I'll have to steal some from them.

Edit for stats:
Average cost per oz (including shipping, excluding overpacked bags): 84 cents
Total order cost: $350

My portion of the order is:

1# Amarillo (Amarillo IPA comin' right up)
1# Cascade
1# Centennial
1# German Tettnanger
1/2# Chinook
1/2# German Magnum
1/2# US Norther Brewer
1/2# Nugget

Yeah, I have no idea where I'm going to put it all. But at $0.80/lb. it's too good to pass up. This will set me up for all year of brewing, and then some. Now I just have to wait for our bulk grain order to come in...

Thats AWESOME! Where do you bulk order your grain from?

Jaybird on this forum has a homebrew shop about 1.5 hour drive from where we live. He's been kind enough in the past to organize group buys along with his orders. But this time we're orderin with a brewer down in Oroville, which is just 25 minutes away. Western Pacific Brewing Company is a fairly new brewery, and the head brewer has been kind enough to let us piggyback on his order. Prices are just about the same, but the time to drive and the gas to get there is less. Grain should be in early this week! :rockin:

Our grain order was picked up yesterday and we split everything up. Even doing half pound bags instead of smaller bags, I still probably spent an hour running the foodsaver.

IMG_3033.JPG

8 ounces of Chinook. Some varieties like northern brewer seem to be a lot drier/flakier. You can see the carnage that caused around the scale
IMG_3036.JPG

Anyway, we should be set for awhile. I only picked up 3 bags of grain because I still have quite a bit left from our last buy. It was a ton of fun, and the microbrewery operator we hooked up with to get our grains from was a super cool guy.

Our grain order was picked up yesterday and we split everything up. Even doing half pound bags instead of smaller bags, I still probably spent an hour running the foodsaver.

IMG_3033.JPG

8 ounces of Chinook. Some varieties like northern brewer seem to be a lot drier/flakier. You can see the carnage that caused around the scale
IMG_3036.JPG

Anyway, we should be set for awhile. I only picked up 3 bags of grain because I still have quite a bit left from our last buy. It was a ton of fun, and the microbrewery operator we hooked up with to get our grains from was a super cool guy.
Wish I would of known about this as I was just in Chico over break. Oh well it wouldn't of been here in time anyway. Which microbrewer did you go through? I wasn't aware that any were left in Chico

Wish I would of known about this as I was just in Chico over break. Oh well it wouldn't of been here in time anyway. Which microbrewer did you go through? I wasn't aware that any were left in Chico

We got the grain from western pacific in Oroville. Previous bulk orders were from the homebrew store in Redding. It's an awesome place and the owner is a cool guy, but Oroville just worked better at 1/4 of the time to drive.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!! Are you guys in Home Brewing Heaven, or what? Love the mad modeling skillz for sure!
So ah, when do I get to be invited to a big bad brewday?
Cheers
Jay

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!! Are you guys in Home Brewing Heaven, or what? Love the mad modeling skillz for sure!
So ah, when do I get to be invited to a big bad brewday?
Cheers
Jay

We are trying to organize another group brew day now that everyone is stocked up. And you man, you're ALWAYS invited! I think almost everyone is brewing this weekend, but separately. We'll get together and figure out a good date and let you know. Cheers!

Wow. That is a boat load of hops. Its cool that you were able to order together to save on shipping too. Good idea!

Back