240 Indicator light- how do I connect it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownD

Reaction score
I have a 30A 5500W system I'm building and have run into a stumbling block.
I'm wiring up my panel and have a 240V indicator light that will turn on when the contactor for the element is switched on. Im using 10AWG on the element side of the contactor-but the yellow spade connectors seem too big for the light.
This is the light.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_33&products_id=248

Are there narrow gauge 10AWG spade connectors (the blue ones suited for 14AWG fit the light, but not the wire), or could I run a different gauge wire from the contactor to the light and keep my 10AWG to the element.
Thanks in advance.

If wired in parallel, the light really only needs wire gauged to handle the amperage draw of the light itself (and before someone flames me, you would want to consider circuit protection on that leg for the smaller wire)

You can use smaller gauge wire as long as it's just that indicator on the run (i.e. Contactor black leg-LED-contactor red leg), which should be the case since you're wiring it parallel to the element.

Edit: or what he said^

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Also, be aware that you the light might illuminate even when the PID indicates that it is not sending any power, unless you have the element plugged in to provide some resistance. So plug the element in when you are testing, and remember to submerge it in liquid so it does not dry fire.

Back