2011 Caveman BBQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
So I've alluded to this feast in a couple of other threads (mainly my smoker build thread). For those that don't know what I'm talking about, here's the run down:

Every summer my wife an I throw the "Caveman BBQ", where I smoke a ton of ribs, make some salt potatoes, and corn on the cob. When the food hits the table, you aren't allowed to talk. You have to point and grunt! There are no utensils, hands only (including any dishes to pass)! If you're caught talking, something is getting thrown in your general direction!

This took place this past saturday, July 9th. I have a few pics, but not a ton (unfortunately).

Fri: Procured the ribs and various other food stuffs. Got it home and stowed away until I was ready to prep it.

36 racks in the fridge!

unprepped_food.jpg

Can you say ABT's?!!?!!!?

making_abts.jpg

An hour later and all 80 are made up!

abts_done.jpg

Back in the fridge along with all of the now prepped ribs. We removed the membrane (I hate that job), rubbed them down, then put them back in foodsaver vacuum sucked bags.

food_prepped.jpg

What good is a BBQ without any beer? Here are the 7 kegs waiting to go on tap. Waiting to go on tap: 2 kegs of the House Citra Pale Ale, 2 kegs of a Franziskaner clone, a keg of Rye Pale ale, a keg of Maibock, and a keg of Pilsner.

lager_fridge.jpg

But they'll have to wait until one of the three kegs already on are kicked! Already on tap: House Citra Pale Ale, Dark Lager, Dry Irish Stout.

beer_on_tap.jpg

Sat: After a refreshing nights sleep (I could really get used to this!), it's time to get the smoker ready! Step one, remove the solid plug on the back of the smoke chamber.

solid_stopper_installed.jpg

Pass the probe wire through the hole.

probe.jpg

Wrap the rubber stopper around the probe wire, and push it into the hole on the inside of the smoke chamber.

rubber_stopper.jpg

Take the split plug, run the probe wire through it, and screw it back into the plug on the outside of the smoker chamber. Then plug it into the Stoker.

solid_split_plugs.jpg

Place the hopper in the top of the chute, and load the chute with charcoal (wegmans lump) and wood chunks (weber applewood), alternating the layers.

hopper.jpg

Now it's time to light this sucker. Here's our "lighting assembly".

Lighter_assembly.jpg

Pulled the burner out of an unused turkey fryer, welded it to a piece of steel so it sits right below the fire grate in the firebox. Hook the hose up to the propane tank on the front of the rig, turn it on and light her up. Takes a whopping minute to get the bottom coals lit enough to get the whole setup running.

burner_firebox.jpg

Man, she looks empty...

empty_smoker.jpg

Ribs warming as the smoker comes up to temp.

racks_warming_up.jpg

Loading up the last rack!

racks_going_on.jpg

A full smoker is a happy smoker!

racks_full_2.jpg

4 and a half hours later, and they're done!

racks_full.jpg

And out on the table, all the newbies (to the party) snapping pics!

food_on_table.jpg

I have no further pictures from this point on. The dinner saw a little over 50 participants. There was much pointing, grunting, and throwing of food (mainly the reason the camera wasn't out). Well, that, and we drink "a little" at this event. Out of the 10 kegs, we had 2 1/2 left at the end of the night.

Oh, and we had the local radio station come by the event as well! We were the MMR Block Party for the weekend (for those in philly). Got some free beer (labatt blue light, not bad), and a ton of free swag. i have enough beer coozies to last a while, and a TON of frisbees.

That is awesome man. How did the staition find out about it?

they were running an ad about it on the radio. You have to write in and tell them why they should come to your bbq. I think after I explained it, it was a no brainer!

Fantastic looking ribs, I remember reading about this in the smoker section, but I was thinking that it was an all guys party, but whether its males or females i'm assuming there is still a lot people trying to talk and consequently a lot of thrown objects

???: from your beer selection which kegs kicked first?

some of the ladies really get into it. Some try to grab some food then run to the other side of the house so they can talk. Kind of takes the fun out of it. Most people know to bring two sets of clothes, something to change into after dinner. At least this year the bucket of drawn butter didn't get dumped on someones head (unlike last year). There are also a couple of watermelons that get smashed on the ground, then tossed around (remember, no utensils).

We ran through all of the house pale ale, the dark lager, both kegs of hefe, and the pils. It was a HOT day, so the brews were flowing. The hefe was a hit with the ladies.

I just want you to know that last night, when work was sucking @ss and we needed a quick break, I came across this thread and your pictures saved the day. WOW, thank you.

Latest posts

Back