200,000 BTU burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I like that Hurricane burner & might get one to replace the unit in my turkey fryer. Better flame distribution, more heat.

Alright, quick question on these burners, as well as the Superb burner and the likes...

Do they have an ignition source or are they ones you have to light manually?

I get a rolling boil on 7 gallons with a 60,000 btu turkey fryer. I don't get scorching or boil overs.

I'm afraid that anything over 60,000 btu would scorch your wort, cause massive boil overs and darker carmalization.

It really depends on how thick your kettle bottom is. I've seen people use blowtorch-type burners with commercial kegs. And those have a single flame. If you need 15 gallons of sparge water, fast, the 200,000 BTU burners start looking good.

I think it would be a great sparge water burner, to get temps up fast, and help out the HERMS if you have one, but a regular high pressure regulator on a 60k BTU unit is prefered for the boil kettle. Much easier to manage.

For lighting those rocket engines, you could rig one of those push button grill lighters they aren't that expensive and work from a distance. MP Wall

I put a couple of 'em on the brewstand I'm finishing up. They do not have igniters built in, but fireplace lighters are cheap and readily available. I've found that I need to hold the lighter in several places to get all the jets lit, maybe that'll change with a kettle above them to catch the unlit gas. They are a bit loud, but not much more than a turkey fryer. I'm not concerned about melting the bottoms of my kettles, they're SS and were a bugger to work with, a bit of heat isn't going to hurt them a bit.
Spending 45 minutes trying to get a boil rolling with a turkey fryer in the TX summer convinced me that I'll need something pretty substantial to boil wort in a WY winter. BTW, my system's running off a 500 gal. LP tank - I don't expect to run out of gas in mid-boil. :eek:

Back