20 quart aluminum pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some other opinions on this:

The other day I was strolling through the grocery store and saw a 20 quart aluminum pot (plus another smaller pot) on sale for $20.

I currently have a 20 quart "canner" that I use for my partial boil/extract brews. I wanted to upgrade to something large enough for BIAB/Partial mash and eventually AG, so I know I'll need something in the 10 gallon range.

But I was really tempted to get this because it seemed like a really cheap price.

What do you think? Should I pick this up for the price, or do you think it's a waste of money seeing as how I need something bigger? Or will it come in handy anyway, even after I get a 10 gallon pot?

Thanks. :mug:

If you want to upgrade then upgrade. You aren't doing anything going from a 20 qt to a 20 qt.

I use aluminum pots and have a 50 qt and a 60 qt. That's what you're going to need to do 10 gallon batches. I would save and actually upgrade.

If you want to upgrade then upgrade. You aren't doing anything going from a 20 qt to a 20 qt.

I use aluminum pots and have a 50 qt and a 60 qt. That's what you're going to need to do 10 gallon batches. I would save and actually upgrade.

Okay, thanks. I sometimes get blinded by "deals" and buy things I don't need simply because they're cheap. :cross:

By the way, how much did you pay for your pots, if you don't mind me asking? I can't seem to find them for under $50

We had a SS dutch oven the kids burned stuff onto. I waited & found a 12pc set of 4 nested polished SS stock pots with polished steamer trays & lids for some $25 or so on sale at Giant Eagle. Great for when you get a 2.5G hot break,& it's foaming like a monster. It's been a great brew kettle. The polished stainless steal is worth it. I now need to get that fancy ss temp gauge that clips to the pot with the probe in the pot.

It's always nice to have an extra pot or two around for boiling water. I tend to have a few pots boiling for sparge water and to sanitize things when I am running a little low on star san. However, it doesn't seem like the purchase would upgrade your system by any means.

I got mine from a Restaurant Supply store. I think I paid 60 and 70 bucks per.

We had a SS dutch oven the kids burned stuff onto. I waited & found a 12pc set of 4 nested polished SS stock pots with polished steamer trays & lids for some $25 or so on sale at Giant Eagle. Great for when you get a 2.5G hot break,& it's foaming like a monster. It's been a great brew kettle. The polished stainless steal is worth it. I now need to get that fancy ss temp gauge that clips to the pot with the probe in the pot.

What!? Wow, that's an *awesome* deal! :rockin: I'd have jumped on that too.

I have a couple of those candy thermometers for candy making and just realized they'd probably work for brewing. They might be cheaper than the ones you're looking at too. Not sure though...

I have a 5 gallon aluminum "lobster pot" and a 5 gallon stainless that I use to do split boils for my 5 gallon batches. The lobster pot was just hanging around - it had been a while since Boyfriend bought lobster, so I just cleaned the bejeezus out of it and started using it for my brewing.

Are split boils a pain in the ass? Yes. Yes they are.

Do I have the cash on hand to upgrade to a bigger pot and banjo burner? Not yet.

If you think you want to try larger batches and/or a split boil? It can't hurt. Otherwise, save your $$ and wait until you can get what you really want.

amazon has some good deals on aluminum pots. I got a 20 quart SS pot from dollar general for $12, and then a 7.5 gallon aluminum one and I do BIAB. you will need an extra pot in addition to just your large one, but your current 20 qt will work fine

Yeah,the 20Qt (5G) pot is perfect for our needs at this point with extract,steeping grains,hop additions,et all. I think that's all the "floating thermometers" are that the LHBS sells us. It was cheap,& it seems to be pretty accurate so far. The ss dial type would be easier to read,but this works,suspended from some veggie wire ties put together (3 or 4) tied to the BK handle with a noose on the other end to hold the thermometer in place. I can even adjust the height,since the angle of the noose is what holds the thermometer in place. Works for me...:mug:

You already have a 20qt pot, so I'd say its a waste of money. I'd spend a couple more bucks and get a 30 or 40qt turkey fryer that comes with a burner, stand, clip thermometer etc to start doing full boils. My $.02

I agree here. Don't waste the cash for the same pot.

Back