20 oz Pop bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will work. My first brew was a Mr. Beer kit and it came with 8 32oz plastic bottles. I would try to get brown rootbeer bottles for light protection. Also there ar some olhbs that sell new caps for them.

Actually any size works just fine. 8, 16, 20 oz. or 1,2 & 3 liter.

Keep the beer away from light until it's time to serve especially if you are using clear bottles. A cardboard box, or a closet will do.

The caps are reusable a least 3 or 4 times.

I prefer to stick with bottles that are meant to hold pressure (carbonated drinks) but plenty of people have said they had good luck with regular water bottles.

I thoroughly cleaned a 20oz Vitamin Water bottle once, and used it for homebrew. The pressure of the CO2 made the bottle and cap swell, but it was fully carbonated. The only problem was that the beer had a very distinct fruit punch flavor. :) Somehow the carbonation process had pulled trace flavors out of the plastic... Which made me think that maybe it was pulling out chemicals as well... So now I stick to EZ-tops :)

I have been considering doing this recently. I am a huge baseball fan, and the Rangers let you bring your own food and drink to the game, as long as it's not in glass and it's not alcohol. But I could bottle a bunch in soda bottles, call it "root" beer, and bring in a cooler full to the game. Sure as hell beats the $5.50 per cup of Widmer Hefe or Sam Adams (the best beer I can find at the ballpark).

Any of you Rockies fans can do the same thing. Not sure how many other parks let you brink your own food and beverage.

:rockin: +1 SWMBO drinks about 4 bottles of Coke a week...err...day. I especially like the 16.9 oz bottles, but they are clear, so they store in cardboard boxes in the basement.

Back