2 Keg kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiratesBeardBrewery

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of building my keezer and looking for a 2-keg starter setup since I have nothing yet for kegging. I have narrowed it down to two sources: kegconnection.com and midwestsupplies.com .

I'm looking at the ball-lock keg kits with party taps (until I eventually buy perlicks), two stage manifold (so I can force carb one and serve another), and a 5lb CO2 tank. Which leaves me with these options:

Midwest
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

KegConnection
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=326 (Basic Kit)
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=50 (5 lb Co2 tank)
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=461 (Dual Reg Upgrade)
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=1 (Ball Lock Keg x2)

Here are the differences that I see:
- Reconditioned Steel CO2 Tank with Midwest vs New Aluminum CO2 Tank with KegConnection
- KegConnection setup would also come with a separate air manifold with check valves, which would give me the ability for 3 kegs eventually (either 3 serving or two serving at same PSI and one force carbing)
- KegConnection comes in about $5 cheaper, and would save an additional $15 on shipping, so total of $20 cheaper.

It seems that KegConnection would be the winner here unless I am either missing something or if there is a concern over an Aluminum CO2 tank versus a Steel one. I guess my question is, am I missing something?

As a side note, I will be upgrading to perlicks later, but am doing party taps for now because I'm not exactly sure if the current freezer that I have will work long term, so I will probably just put together a quick collar and toss it on there since it won't fit kegs without a collar, as you can see here.

Thanks for reading!

For most people the co2 tank is irrelevant....particularly since most of us exchange the empty tank for a full one. Sure, some places will fill, but generally the exchange is much easier. Otherwise, I've used both steel and aluminum tanks, both new and old, and there is no difference to me.

Are they both reconditioned kegs? Keg connection has a thread out there that has a coupon code for new corny kegs. I've heard nothing but the best about their new kegs!!!

Yes I believe they are both reconditioned kegs. The new kegs I saw on kegconnection were about twice the price of these ones.

As for the CO2 tank, it would be a shame to have to trade in a new one for an old banged up one, but frankly I wouldn't care too much as long as exchange places didn't care if they were steel or aluminum.

They don't. My gas guy (lol) saw the new one and said he could fill it up (in a day or two) or could have an exchange, and found me a newer co2 tank he had cause mine was nice and new! So if it matters just ask them if they have a comparable one or a newer one they could fix u up with! Hope this helps

You can check out Birdman Brewing as well. He has some decent prices on keg kits from what I remember. He's got a post up in the vendor section.

You can check out Birdman Brewing as well. He has some decent prices on keg kits from what I remember. He's got a post up in the vendor section.

Thanks! I just checked out Birdman Brewing and they have a comparable system for $240 including the kegs and CO2 tank, but the only thing they didn't have was the dual regulator setup, so I wouldn't be able to keg and force carb or have two beers at different pressures...which may or may not be worth the extra $40. I'm sure there would be some point at which I have a party in a few days and would like to force carb my beer quickly and that's probably the time I would want the dual regulator setup.

I just ordered the birdman 2 tap kit. I was very pleased with the product and service. Price was right too.

I just ordered the 4 keg kit from Midwest, and was very happy with it. If your DIY inclined, you can use a single regulator for the high pressure and get some low pressure regulators from elsewhere for around 7 bucks. My plan is to leave the high pressure reg at 30 psi for force carbing and use a second low pressure reg after a Y to get it down to 10 or 12.

Having said that, I filled three of the kegs in the first week and don't really see a need to force carb now, it's easier to just set it and let it sit for a week. If you can plan well enough to keep a pipeline going, I don't think you'll need to force carb...

- KegConnection setup would also come with a separate air manifold with check valves, which would give me the ability for 3 kegs eventually (either 3 serving or two serving at same PSI and one force carbing)

Just a heads up, but per your link, the dual body chudnow upgrade ELIMINATES the air distributor (see detailed description). So you're only able to connect two kegs to co2, not three kegs.

Don't want to hijack this thread but my need is somewhat similar. I am in need of a 2 faucet tower setup, one with regular plumbing for a type A sankey coupler (which I already have). And the other for a ball lock setup for my home brew for when I start kegging. I would need a dual regulator and a corny keg as well. Any ideas of such unique kit exists?!

Don't want to hijack this thread but my need is somewhat similar. I am in need of a 2 faucet tower setup, one with regular plumbing for a type A sankey coupler (which I already have). And the other for a ball lock setup for my home brew for when I start kegging. I would need a dual regulator and a corny keg as well. Any ideas of such unique kit exists?!

Again, call Kegconnection, they would build it the way you need it. That setup is pretty straight forward, so it would be easy for them to do.

Back