2 Day Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
Ok, so what's wrong with doing a mash and sparge on a Friday night, letting it sit in the brew pot over night, then doing the boil on Saturday if you are pressed for time? I've never heard of this and don't know the chemistry of what could go wrong but, just thinking out loud.

I've heard of guys doing something similar - letting it mash all night then lautering and sparging the next morning.

I've done my mash and sparge one night and boil he following day a couple times. Nothing ever went wrong for me. I was actually thinking of doing that today. Was going to brew this am but woke up to my knee being screwed up. Feels tolerable now, but not for an entire session all at once.
tom

That's kind of what I'm thinking...put a lid on it and tape it closed or saran wrap at room temperature. I was told by my LHBS owner that you can't do that because of wild yeast and such, but that doesn't make sense to me. The boil would sanitize the wort and kill any yeast or garbage that could grow overnight.

Looks like TomRep has already done this without a hitch. Good discussion here because sometimes we don't have 4-6 hours in one day for brewing.

Might have some off flavors develop from any wild yeast that may get in there. But I've never done it so I can't say if it's an issue. But the chance is there.

Lots of people do this or an overnight mash. If you boil some friday night, it might be better. The fear is that the lacto that is all over the grain will start to sour your wort until you boil it. Also, if you don't boil or mash-out, the extended time at lower temps could really dry the beer out, like mashing at a low temperature. I did this for my first all-grain without knowing the above, and it wasn't a problem, although it finished a little dryer than subsequent brews. I mashed/sparged around 5-6 pm, I think, and did the boil the next morning.

Search for overnight mash and other related threads and you'll find a lot of debate and experience.

Back