2.5lb Tank - Big Enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearduncle

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 2.5lb CO2 tank on the cheap. I'd like to keg half of my beer in a 2.5 gal. soda corny and bottle the rest. Is a 2.5 too small? I'm brewing about two 5 gallon batches a month. How often will I have to refill the tank, roughly?

The 2.5 gallon CO2 tank will work just fine for you. I have a 5# tank and have carbonated at least 8 batches and still have some CO2 left. The 2.5# tank will last you quite awhile.

I had a 2.5# tank I used as a hot spare. I recently took it and my 5# tank to my local AirGas dealer and he wouldn't touch the 2.5# tank - so I annoyed him until he gave me a even trade for another 5# tank. heh

He was just lazy - said it had something to do with the high pressure required to fill such a small tank. I've had it filled elsewhere with no issue, but AirGas has since bought the other company out and I now have no choice...

Back