1st Mead Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlowerOn

Reaction score
I recently transferred my first mead from the first carboy to a second one but when I tried it all you could taste was alcohol. It was really strong. It set for a month before I put it in the fridge to cold crash it. Will it mellow with age or did I mess it up? Its supposed to be a cherry mead.

I've had meads take a year to mellow out. If you look at some resources in the mead making forum Here, what you are experiencing is not uncommon.

Just give it time!

Well, I've been there, done that. So now that you got the first one done, lay it back in a cool spot and try it again in a year or two or three or more. If you want to make better mead, and have it be ready sooner, look into staggered nutrient additions, rehydrating your yeast with go-ferm and at least attempting some kind of temperature control during fermentation. The Mead Made Right website is a good place to start, but there are many other resources.

Back