15 gallon megapot as mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kincade

Reaction score
I have a chance for an excellent price on a 15 gallon megapot if I buy it today... I'm wondering if any of you here use one as a mash tun? I'm curious what you all would use for a false bottom, heat lost in the mash, and any thoughts if you would do it again. I'm using a 10 gallon cooler right now, but it would be nice to have a little more capacity for mashing out by infusion and a little larger grain bills.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

You can buy a false bottom for these, though I don't have a link to it on hand since I use my 15G megapot as a HLT. I do remember that when I was trying to pick between pots someone had posted the correct false bottom for the pot I got. I also have a 25G megapot as my brew kettle.

The pots are extremely well made and I really like mine. Not sure what price you have but you can also buy these off instawares website or places that sell them under supersteel or update international brands. They are the same pots.

It was one of B3's black friday deals, but was mistakenly ordered. I can cancel the order today, or have the megapot delivered. As I use a cooler for the mash tun I'm a bit unfamiliar to the pitfalls of using one of these for mashing.

It was one of B3's black friday deals, but was mistakenly ordered. I can cancel the order today, or have the megapot delivered. As I use a cooler for the mash tun I'm a bit unfamiliar to the pitfalls of using one of these for mashing.

Search results for: 'false bottom' : Northern Brewer

here is one place that sells them.

I would say I prefer a metal MT because it:
1. isn't plastic - I personally don't like warm liquids in contact with plastic.
2. false bottoms are super easy/ consistent to clean and use.

You could pull your hardware from your cooler and install it in the megapot too.

From my personal experience (I do 11G batches in my 15G MT) you shouldn't have any issues with losing heat with a couple additions. I use reflectix and wrap the body of the pot and cut out a piece for the lid. Then I throw 2-3 towels over the top and I am good for a 60 minute mash. In summer I might lose 1 degree, if that. In winter possibly 2 degress over 60 minutes.

Search results for: 'false bottom' : Northern Brewer

here is one place that sells them.

I would say I prefer a metal MT because it:
1. isn't plastic - I personally don't like warm liquids in contact with plastic.
2. false bottoms are super easy/ consistent to clean and use.

You could pull your hardware from your cooler and install it in the megapot too.

From my personal experience (I do 11G batches in my 15G MT) you shouldn't have any issues with losing heat with a couple additions. I use reflectix and wrap the body of the pot and cut out a piece for the lid. Then I throw 2-3 towels over the top and I am good for a 60 minute mash. In summer I might lose 1 degree, if that. In winter possibly 2 degress over 60 minutes.

Thanks for the information! I thought about keeping my false bottom, but it's so much smaller that it would leave a bunch of the grainbed without water flow, and I think it would kill my efficiency. Thanks for the tips, this might be worth keeping.

The MegaPot is the same pot that MoreBeer uses and their false bottom works. We use the same brand.

Back