15 gallon batch using 3- 5g carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

price2bc

Reaction score
Need a little help from you guys...

Ive been doing all grain brewing for a bit now and have my system pretty locked down. I have the equipment to do 4-5 gallon batches and a freezer converted to fermentation chamber that could handle it.

A friend of mine contacted me to see about doing a 15 gallon batch for him for a party he is having later this year. He has an empty half barrel that he would like to use.

Im only familiar with doing these smaller 5 gallon batches and bottling so im wondering what this would take to do such a large volume and get it into the keg for him to serve?

Would it be possible for me to do 3 separate 5 gallon batches of the same brew. Ferment them all separately (however at the same time in the same fermentation chamber). Then siphon them all into the same half barrel?

any better methods or ideas?

thanks

I think it should work but it will be a lot of work, 3 brewing sessions thats at least 10h if you do it in a row, then you can ferment in carboys (i guess you shouldn't put more than 4.5gal per 5gal carboy), then for a sanke keg you will have to figure out how to wash it and then force carb, so you or your friend need to have co2, tap, lines, kegerator ect. If you dont have all this maybe it would be easier to use keg as a fermenter and then bottle 15gal on one beautiful day?

Back