12 Beers of Christmas 2022 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also would appreciate feedback, moreso on the Hoarfrost and Imperial Stout that I threw in since I don't consider those beers to be failures, but am interested on any potential feedback on the scorched Dunkelweizen as well.
I did taste the Dunkelweizen, it looked great in the glass, good head retention and mouth feel. It was very smoky and the more I drank, the more intense that flavor became. For me none of the spice flavors could make it past that. I like a smoked beer, and that was too much unfortunately (I guess the difference between smoked vs scorched) and I know it was unintentional on your part. So thank you for sending it and when I taste the others I’ll gladly give some feedback, mind you, I’m not a “beer judge” so don’t take an opinion of mine too seriously... unless I say it’s delicious :)

The Abbey Weizen and Caramel Quad both showed up in the last 24 hours. Thank you! The Abbey were all in good shape. The Quads had a bit of leakage, but I think it was from freezing during transport because when I held the bottles upside down, the caps did not leak. I drank one of the Quads immediately (mid-afternoon treat) and it was great. I could taste caramel but very balanced by not being too sweet or alcohol-intense. I would consider adding just a little more body. But overall, it was very good.

And I'm not holding my breath on the lambic. That guy hasn't posted in this thread since January and posted only once in the last 6 months. We are probably mailing beer to his old address. =c)

The Abbey Weizen and Caramel Quad both showed up in the last 24 hours. Thank you! The Abbey were all in good shape. The Quads had a bit of leakage, but I think it was from freezing during transport because when I held the bottles upside down, the caps did not leak. I drank one of the Quads immediately (mid-afternoon treat) and it was great. I could taste caramel but very balanced by not being too sweet or alcohol-intense. I would consider adding just a little more body. But overall, it was very good.

And I'm not holding my breath on the lambic. That guy hasn't posted in this thread since January and posted only once in the last 6 months. We are probably mailing beer to his old address. =c)
I haven’t looked the last time @Funky Frank posted in this thread but he did message me his address on 10/22/22 when I asked everyone for their address so he has been on the site since January. Based on his username the lambic should be in his expertise. I’ll try to reach out to him.

Me as well (for next year) assuming at least someone found the gingerbread ale to be acceptable and the group is willing to have me again.

I personally greatly enjoyed it. But for real, about the only thing that makes you ineligible for the next round is failure to ship.

On that note, I’m definitely in for next year too.

5DFC9F8E-8885-4640-BA0E-95988D075DA2.jpeg

I received the last that I know was shipped, here are the 11 Beers of Christmas 2022.

Me as well (for next year) assuming at least someone found the gingerbread ale to be acceptable and the group is willing to have me again.
I'm drinking my second gingerbread ale right now!

Don't tell the others, but it's one of my favorites. I had two professional beers out at dinner tonight, and it's probably better than both (at least as good as).

Just had the quad while preparing tonight's duck. Wow. Delicious. Well done. No hint in the taste that this is an 11% beer. I'm putting the other two away for some aging.
Did you follow Mosher's recipe as written?
This is the fifth BOC I tasted. (6th including my own.) Looking forward to sampling the rest.
Happy New Year all!

Just had the quad while preparing tonight's duck. Wow. Delicious. Well done. No hint in the taste that this is an 11% beer. I'm putting the other two away for some aging.
Did you follow Mosher's recipe as written?
This is the fifth BOC I tasted. (6th including my own.) Looking forward to sampling the rest.
Happy New Year all!
I followed the recipe as written. I’m glad you liked it!!!

I just got home today and the Abby and dubble were waiting for me !!

Are we all in agreement that the crab apple lambic is a lost cause ??

I did message him and no response.
I could easily get over an excuse as to why he didn’t ship or brew or whatever as long as he communicated it. Or send us you stuff not fit to be drunk.

But for @Funky Frank to just ignore us while packages of our beer shows up on his door steps in a total jack wagon move.

Abbey arrived today! Unfortunately had my first casualty of this round, looks like the cap failed on it. The other two and the bonus beer are fine though! My goal is to have tasted all of the beers by the end of the weekend.

I also would appreciate feedback, moreso on the Hoarfrost and Imperial Stout that I threw in since I don't consider those beers to be failures, but am interested on any potential feedback on the scorched Dunkelweizen as well.
I finally got the Hoarfrost tonight. I like it. I forget what's in it, but it's like a hearty winter wheat. I could definitely see that as part of the regular winter rotation. It goes really good with Chex Mix. =c)

I am getting to all of these very slowly. Due to being sick and poor brew planning, I had quite the bumper crop of beer (around 55 gallons) on hand by mid-December. I've been giving it away and trying to finish off kegs to make room for other kegs chilling in the garage (because kegerator and spare keg fridge are full).

Last edited:
I'm also slowly working through them. Had the fruitcake ale the other night and enjoyed it. Not a beer I'd probably typically pick based on the description, but it was good! And I'm drinking the spiced bourbon stout now. It's almost refreshing, I'm liking the slightly lighter mouthfeel with the juniper!

I finally got the Hoarfrost tonight. I like it. I forget what's in it, but it's like a hearty winter wheat. I could definitely see that as part of the regular winter rotation. It goes really good with Chex Mix. =c)

That one is a British strong ale. Nothing too crazy, though it does have a touch of Munich in it. Chex mix is an interesting pairing, I'll have to give that a whirl!

I am getting to all of these very slowly. Due to being sick and poor brew planning, I had quite the bumper crop of beer (around 55 gallons) on hand by mid-December. I've been giving it away and trying to finish off kegs to make room for other kegs chilling in the garage (because kegerator and spare keg fridge are full).
I will also be getting through them slowly, as I only typically have 1-2 beers a week, and that’s better than when I participated in 2020. Thankfully most are big beers, so they should still be fine.

I also just opened @BAF 's Imperial Stout. (Just making a night of it apparently). It's excellent. That's craft brewery, limited edition good. Well done! (And at 11.8%, I'll probably just sip on it the rest of the night =c) ).
I drank it also. Really enjoyed it. I thought it a beer that would age very nicely. Nice work.

Finally got around to @TBC 's Honey Ginger IPA. Tastes really good, but my first bottle was a gusher. No worries (I opened it right next to a sink). I still really enjoyed it, but just a heads up in case anyone encounters the same.

But I can taste the honey and ginger, and it all balances out really well.

Cheers.

5EBC9B78-60A6-4E5C-9339-5176F3FA65F5.jpeg

Ha, I will be finishing off my stockpile this week to clear out room in the spare fridge. I had the last quad and rye bock last night.

I enjoyed this but will bow out this year. My schedule is too unpredictable. But thanks to everyone!

Last edited:
Ha, I will be finishing off my stockpile this week to clear out room in the spare fridge. I had the last quad and rye bock last night.

I enjoyed this but will bow out this year. My schedule is too unpredictable. But thanks to everyone!
I’ve got your stout in the fridge to enjoy soon.

We almost had 12! But that didn’t happen. We ever find out what happened to @Funky Frank ? I mean, someone was shipped 11 boxes of beer and I didn’t here of any “return to sender” packages.

Anywho, next year should happen, this time, I’ll remember to make the labels in advance.

I drank it also. Really enjoyed it. I thought it a beer that would age very nicely. Nice work.
I'm going to hold some back and age it further. But I brewed it in January (2022) and had to sit here staring at the keg all year letting it age, so it was almost a year old by the time you tasted it; I'm glad it was worth it!

I just opened the Honey Ginger IPA. Not a gusher for me, but super carbonated. I'm actually really enjoying it. It's more carbonated than I'd usually go for with an IPA, but it actually works out here and along with the ginger, makes it quite refreshing!

I'm still working my way through. I'm still working through a decent backlog of beer from gifts and from the latest FotD exchange and FotD secret santa (plus didn't have much beer in January, didn't go dry January, but was cutting way back and am eating healthier).

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll have to see if I have any left to give another try. Though maybe you're just one of the folks who likes the smokiness of it anyhow :)

Back