106" Movies - Merry Christmas to me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've had a projector for many years and various screen sizes but I pretty much just maxed out what's possible in this room. SWMBO finally buckled and let me make this one big.

CIHscreen.jpg

It cost me just under $100 in materials.

Frame blackout cloth, painted drywall, or did you really step up and order screen fabric?

I just painted the drywall at 90° angles and framed it with 1x3 wrapped with black velvet.

It's a poplar frame wrapped in velvet, then blackout cloth was stretched across the back with screen spline. I had a sheet of 1/4" HDF painted grey before, just wanted to try something different. Drywall usually is a little more wavy and marred up for my tastes but it certainly can work. What I really like about the frame and cloth version is that it's nice a light.

The catalyst to building this one was going with a 2.35:1 native screen ratio. I hated that the overall screen area for epic movies like Braveheart was much lower than when the average crappy TV show. Now the epic movies carry the widescreen impact they should.

Very cool. I did a screen that was blackout wrapped around a frame, painters canvas style. On the latest, made sure that the drywall was one sheet and centered on the area projecting to.

Planning on doing any masking for other formats?

Yes, but only for 16:9. I bought enough velvet to wrap some 1/2" rigid foam masks as inserts on both sides. I'm trying to figure out if it will hold up over many insert cycles. Most of the movies I watch are 2.35 but my wife watches a lot of sit coms at 16:9.

I have often considered ScreenGoo. But, since my room would not allow for a screen size I desired I opted to go LED DLP instead.

It's moderately easy to remove from the wall but I'll likely not move it ever. SWMBO didn't require a stealth install from the beginning otherwise I would have ponied up for a pulldown.

I have often considered ScreenGoo. But, since my room would not allow for a screen size I desired I opted to go LED DLP instead.

They're certainly pretty looking but the price per inch just hasn't come down fast enough for me. I was an early adopter of 1080p projectors so I paid something like $1800 after rebate and I get to have 106". I'd still go with an LCD or plasma flat panel if I could have even 80" for under $3k but that's just not going to happen soon.

They're certainly pretty looking but the price per inch just hasn't come down fast enough for me. I was an early adopter of 1080p projectors so I paid something like $1800 after rebate and I get to have 106". I'd still go with an LCD or plasma flat panel if I could have even 80" for under $3k but that's just not going to happen soon.

Your stutter is showing again.

I did an install in my friends house and he is currently sitting at 130" with a triple chip DLP projector... You'd think after spending $11k on the projector he would have skimped for a framed out area and grey-painted texture wall... But no... Still looks awesome though...

I'll have to post a pic when I go back over there again...

Bobby just curious what's your sound peripheries and Source units you are using...

i noticed you have your speakers up pretty high pointing down... Imaging wise this can be a bit detrimental if your speakers arent designed for this... I would recommend at least relocating the center channel below the fireplace (If that fireplace is not used)

Looks good though

I did an install in my friends house and he is currently sitting at 130" with a triple chip DLP projector... You'd think after spending $11k on the projector he would have skimped for a framed out area and grey-painted texture wall... But no... Still looks awesome though...

I'll have to post a pic when I go back over there again...

Bobby just curious what's your sound peripheries and Source units you are using...

i noticed you have your speakers up pretty high pointing down... Imaging wise this can be a bit detrimental if your speakers arent designed for this... I would recommend at least relocating the center channel below the fireplace (If that fireplace is not used)

Looks good though

The whole room is a compromise. More time with the family vs. sitting in a basement man cave. Entertainment during parties (the back of this room is open to the kitchen). Aesthetics vs. audio performance... I mean I have no treatments for even basic first reflection points and that's just wrong.

The fireplace is used often so the center isn't moving. The sides are up higher to keep at least a reasonable horizontal plane with the center.

The four corners are NHT SB1 and a matching center. I'm only running 5.1 since the back wall is open. The main source is a couple year old Denon but I need to upgrade because I need HDMI switching in the near future.

The TV source is Dish VIP622 and movies are bluray via PS3. I'm psyched to get my streaming netflix disc today.

The main source is a couple year old Denon but I need to upgrade because I need HDMI switching in the near future.

sucks balls don't it. I bought the flagship Yamaha RX-Z9 nearly 8 years ago and it still outperforms many brainboxes out today.

Except Yamaha backed off the design of the crad swaps and opted to not make one for this unit instead releasing a RX-Z11 (IIRC).

The analaogue outputs on my Blu-Ray are dirty and the RX doesn't have HDMI throughput thus, I have to revert to toslink which downconverts the 7.1 to 5.1 and then I have to matrix the soundstage out to all the channels.

Pisser is, I think the Denon stuck with the upgrade path but I chose Yamaha over the Denoin because it has the Faroudja upscaler built in. which I don;t use now.

Are you using acoustically invisible material? Use an in wall center behind the screen if you are.

Are you using acoustically invisible material? Use an in wall center behind the screen if you are.

Blackout cloth is not acoustically transparent.

It is vinyl coated fabric used to block light in window drapery. It just so happens to have a very nice surface to project on and the vinyl takes paint well.

Did you get a coupon to Jo Ann's for the fabric, Bobby? :D

matt

Blackout cloth is not acoustically transparent.

It is vinyl coated fabric used to block light in window drapery. It just so happens to have a very nice surface to project on and the vinyl takes paint well.

Did you get a coupon to Jo Ann's for the fabric, Bobby? :D

matt

****, I missed that little point. I've made and used commercially made ones that were made of almost a spandex material. I've used the blackout cloth as curtains but never thought to make a screen out of them.

I guess I went the lazy route but this was before I went all DYI when I got my house.

I have a Da-lite 116x87 (4x3) but just pull it down far enough for a 16x9 ratio, did the math and it came out to 138 diag I think. It has been a while but I believe it is a C series with a gain of like 1.3 or something.

So HT wizards, now that you know all that, what is this black out cloth? I need to make some drapes of it.

P.S. GilaMinumBeer, nice receiver you have there, I didn't realize those were suppose to be future proof but not as much as you like I guess. I have the RX-V2700 and kinda pissed because the next model had the DTS-HD decoding :mad:

P.S. GilaMinumBeer, nice receiver you have there, I didn't realize those were suppose to be future proof but not as much as you like I guess. I have the RX-V2700 and kinda pissed because the next model had the DTS-HD decoding :mad:

Yeah. They heavily touted interchangable "cards" based on teh isolated architecture of the design.

And then completely redesigned everything. Fewer channels, less power, more digital, newer decoders.

the one I have was built around 10.2 discreet channels but the software and decoders weren't available to drive them discreetly.

how far is the projector from the screen? is it mounted on the ceiling? how often does the bulb have to replaced?

Looks great! I am slowly finishing my basement and finally got around to putting the taps on the bar. I built my frame using poplar as well, but used Wilsonart Laminate and a 16x9 screen.

IMG_0848.jpg

how far is the projector from the screen? is it mounted on the ceiling? how often does the bulb have to replaced?

Each projector is different... there are some great resources on the web and a good forum (similar to this one)... avsforums.com and projectorcentral.com for reviews!

You can expect to replace the bulb between 2000-3000 hrs. DLP or LCD. LCD does have a filter that needs cleaning from time to time. Bulbs will run around $225-ish... again this varies.

There is also a distance projector calculator : http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

I have a Mitsubishi HC1600 (~$625.00) that I picked up for my basement with a DIY 98" screen (painted 1/8" hardboard) - that I hooked up for OTA (free) HD TV (Kworld Tuner) with a DIY antena, XBox and movies... LOVE IT! BUILT for NFL Football Sunday! (just don't tell the SWMBO) :rockin:

I got the black out cloth at a local fabric store for $6 a yard so it cost me about $20. Some is sold as drapery lining but doesn't have the rubberized/vinyl coating. That coating not only increases the gain a bit but also blocks light from going through and bouncing back off the wall. Horrible for contrast if that happens.

The projector is the Sanyo Z2000 and I rode the Sanyo models pretty much all the way up. Z1, Z3, now Z2000 each time because of the resolution increase. I wish I had the Panasonic 4000 though because it has motorized zoom with memory so I could bounce back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35:1 without climbing on a stool.

Bulbs? Depends. Some burn out faster than others but having the PJ ceiling mounted to avoid bumps and vibrations seems to help a lot. I get 2-3k hours on them and they usually go dim before total failure. Sanyo bulbs are $300 give or take.

Whats the zoom on your DLP?

The LCD I have has a 1.0 - 2.0 zoom. throwing a 120" 16x9 image. Its always a tech war between LCD and DLP projectors, one usually trumps the other each year. LCd one, DLP the next. back and forth.

I got the black out cloth at a local fabric store for $6 a yard so it cost me about $20. Some is sold as drapery lining but doesn't have the rubberized/vinyl coating. That coating not only increases the gain a bit but also blocks light from going through and bouncing back off the wall. Horrible for contrast if that happens.

The projector is the Sanyo Z2000 and I rode the Sanyo models pretty much all the way up. Z1, Z3, now Z2000 each time because of the resolution increase. I wish I had the Panasonic 4000 though because it has motorized zoom with memory so I could bounce back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35:1 without climbing on a stool.

Bulbs? Depends. Some burn out faster than others but having the PJ ceiling mounted to avoid bumps and vibrations seems to help a lot. I get 2-3k hours on them and they usually go dim before total failure. Sanyo bulbs are $300 give or take.

Got the same model. Z2000 is a nice powerful projector.

Bobby,

I totally understand the compromise part of the sound set up... had to do the same thing for our family room

I have a 2005/6 model Pioneer Elite VSX-82 in my basement hooked to some really nice Pioneer Towers from the early 90's... They are just beautiful as far as the imagining goes, but my Center is such a piece and my surrounds are terrible as well... I blew all the money on the Reciever and components to go with it...

Soon I will get some nice surrounds and center for it.

Back