10 vs 15 and Soup vs Tuna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinaa

Reaction score
Looking for a brew kettle, have read a bunch of stuff on this forum about kettle size and shape preferences. I am hoping to get boiled down opinions and recommendations, now that that time has past (some of the threads are a few years old) and many gallons of beer have been brewed in these pots.

Some background: I brew with a friend, we split batches (in bottles) have talked about moving to kegging, but that may be in the somewhat distant future. We would keg in two 2.5 gallon kegs but can upgrade to 5 gallon kegs very easily, so moving to 10 gallon batches would not be crazy except her husband doesn't drink beer, so she moves slowly through a batch (she could bottle and keg I guess).

I can get a ten gallon blichmann for 299 the next town over (they claim to sell ones with cosmetic defects but preform the same). My friend has a ten gallon polar ware, and I like it. But there are the 15 gallon mega pots or AHBS brew pots ( they seem to have been made by the same factory) for ~ 280.
I like the soup can shaped pots, they seem to make since, but the 15 gallon options are very expensive. New thought on Tuna can shaped pots?

So it seems to come down to name brand 10 gallon soup can shape kettle with all the bells and whistles or store brand tuna can shape 15 gallon pot with some bells.

Thanks!

P. S. I wrote this on an iPhone, so excuse the poor editing.

I have no idea about soup vs tuna can shape. If you're brewing with a friend and splitting batches, I'd be all over 15/20 gal pot, to make 10 gal batches. 15 is very doable, just have to watch break a little more than with a 20 gal. I've got guys in my homebrew club that have the Spike kettles and are happy with them. I've got a Penrose kettle, but they don't make them anymore. I have a 15 gal blichmann for a MLT, but it started as my BK. I like it, but would probably have gone a cheaper route had I found HBT before buying the Blichmann. And of course, there is always Keggles (assuming you source them legally - before everyone yells at you).

You will have more boil off and less head room from a wider tuna can shaped kettle, that makes it harder to boil a 10 gallon batch in a 15 gallon vessel. I use a Bayou Classic 15.5 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches without worry. Now I have no bells and whistles, no spigot, no sight glass, so thermometer, but there are ways to work wround each of these. I siphon instead of the spigot, I use a clip on thermometer, and I have a stick marked with volume instead of the sight glass. These kettles are on sale on amazon now for about $110 plus shipping (unless you are a prime member then no shipping) and are really great.

Looks like you will one day want to brew 10 gal batches. So get a 15.5gal kettle. If you can afford the Blichmann pot go for it. A few scratches and dents just give it character. I really like that tiltable temperature dial. But it won't make your beer any better than one that's brewed in a converted keg or a bayou classic. I have had great luck with the weldless add ons from brewhardware.com on my converted kegs.

try Browns Kitchen Supply on Capital City NE.. Thats where I got my pots. Good prices and local since your here in Tally.

You will have more boil off and less head room from a wider tuna can shaped kettle, that makes it harder to boil a 10 gallon batch in a 15 gallon vessel.

That's for sure....I'm having much more trouble achieving good boils with the wider kettle, especially where it is very hot outside and low sea level with dry air. That's why I am building a hot stick to assist my propane burner, well those reasons and the wind.
I wish I had a taller large kettle (25 gal) but I couldn't find one...at a price I would pay.

Back