10 gallon pot with old immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmudrick

Reaction score
I'd like to upgrade to a 10 gallon megapot from my 7 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot (which is not really big enough to comfortably boil AG batches in.)

I currently have a basic immersion chiller that is described as fitting "5 and 7.5 gallon pots" and "25' of 3/8" diameter coiled copper tubing".

Will that likely fit and work in a 10 gallon pot? I don't want to upgrade to a bigger immersion chiller or go counterflow at this point in time, given the expense of these 10 gallon pots (and the fact that I am gonna be dropping some money on a grain mill at the same time.) I'm probably going to continue to do 5-6 gallon batches for quite a while.

(For more info, here's my immersion chiller)

It will work fine just be sure the diameter of the chiller will fit inside your new pot. You are aware that you can't do 10g recipes in a 10g pot - you will need a 14g or bigger kettle.

GT

I think that those turkey fryers have a small diameter, so the height should be somewhat what simmilar. I think your outlets should still fit over the top of the kettle.
Oh and go with 15 gallon pot.

Got Trub? said:
It will work fine just be sure the diameter of the chiller will fit inside your new pot. You are aware that you can't do 10g recipes in a 10g pot - you will need a 14g or bigger kettle.

GT

Cool. Yeah, I am kind of torn - I know it makes sense to upgrade to a 15G in case I ever want to start doing full 10G batches, but I honestly can't see myself doing that anytime soon - I'd need to move to using an outdoor burner (currently using my gas range), I'd have to get bigger fermenting vessels, etc.

Id still go for a keggle. They are way cheaper than buying a stock pot.. assuming you build it yourself.

and you can still do 10 gallon batches, all you have to do is put it in 2 carboys and make a bigger yeast starter then split it.

Back