10 gallon extract batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted125

Reaction score
I'm looking for a basic ratio of dry malt extract(s) to speciality grain ratio for a 10 gallon extract for a brown ale. I've tried hopsville to create a recipe, but was looking for suggestions on the sugar/grain ratio for that size batch. I've only done 5 gallon kits in the past, and was wanting to create a recipe. Thanks

I've heard multiply by 2, but several others have said its not a linear conversion.

The only time it's not linear is for yeast if you're scaling down (go ahead and pitch the whole package, not just half of it) or for hops if you're scaling *way* up (commercial breweries get better hop efficiency in their large kettles than we get at the homebrew scale). Otherwise, go ahead and double a 5-gallon recipe to make a 10-gallon recipe.

Ok that makes sense, I appreciate the help. This will only be my third batch. The two previous five gallon batches I used liquid Wyeast. Should I use two packs this time?

Or make a starter if you want to save some money on the yeast.

Back