10 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktfuller

Reaction score
I did my first 10gal batch about 10 days ago. I doubled everything from my 5 gal recipe and I steeped the grains using 5gal instead of 2.5gal. I checked my S.G. and tasted the beer as I usually do and it seems to be lighter and lack some of the flavor I was expecting. Does anyone know if steeping in 5gal was the right thing to do? Any advice on making 10 gal batches would be welcomed.

ktfuller said:
I did my first 10gal batch about 10 days ago. I doubled everything from my 5 gal recipe and I steeped the grains using 5gal instead of 2.5gal. I checked my S.G. and tasted the beer as I usually do and it seems to be lighter and lack some of the flavor I was expecting. Does anyone know if steeping in 5gal was the right thing to do? Any advice on making 10 gal batches would be welcomed.

Did you use any kind of brewing software to help you out. Your hop rate may be off for a 10 gallon batch. Also by steeping in 5 gallons, you may have raised the PH of your water a tad.

do you top off your batches after boiling to equal the target volume, ie 5G or 10G? Not sure, but maybe there is less boil-off in a 10G batch?

Just thinking online, so to speak.

Back