10 Gallon Batch in a Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-in

Reaction score
Hi All,

Is it reasonable to do a 10 gallon batch in a Keggle?

I guess once mash is done, one could add water (sparge thru grains) to get to 12 gallons and then do a careful boil of 12 gallons in a 15.5 gallon vessel...

Anyone do something similar?

Thanks

I routinely do 11 gallon batches in my 15.5 gal kettle. Get yourself some fermcap.

I don't have a keggle but do have a 15.5 gallon kettle and that is what I did recently. Added 12 gallons of water, mashed, pulled the grains, sparged through the grains to get my boil volume. I use FermCap-S in the boil to keep the foam down. I had no issues.

Wow...thank tons for the super fast responses....so happy to hear that it can be done.....

Yup. I even forgot the Fermcap-S last time and still managed a 13 gallon boil in a 15 gallon pot. I did have to ride the propane regulator for a few minutes to keep things under control until the hot break was completed.

Does anyone have trouble removing their grain bag from a keggle? I remember the opening being tight when lifting the bag.

Does anyone have trouble removing their grain bag from a keggle? I remember the opening being tight when lifting the bag.

This can be an issue for large grain bills and keggles with narrow top openings. I always advise making the top of the keggle opening as large as possible for BIAB.

In an effort to placate this issue, I am now making keggle bags with a very long narrow taper at the bottom for easier bag removal.

Be sure your top opening is smooth to avoid snagging the bag.

I've done 10 gallons all the time in my keggle, worst case, I would have to add 1 1/2 gallons before the boil. You can just pour that over/through the bag as it is draining.

Jason -
I have several photos on my Flickr account showing the bag coming out of the mash. It works perfect. Be sure to study the 2nd bag design, 1st bag design also works okay and was used for 5 gallon batches mostly.

MS

Just did my first boil with a keggle it went smooth got right at 11 gallons with it--I cut the top rite off this keg and have a lid that fits down over the OD perfect--really have to watch it when it starts to roll I had a bit of a boil over but nothing serious--If you've got a keg I say use it for as much as you can get out of it--I like using mine a lot more than I thought I would---Good Luck With It

try some Fermcap-s :)

Never used it before what does it do--I'll read up on it Thanks for advice

It did seem different getting to a boil-a lot more foam than my 12.5 kettle the dimension of the kettles are close to the same--I used to try and get all I could out of that kettle--I think I'm gonna scale down with the keggle for next few boils and do 9 gal. batches till I get used to it---

Fermcap-S is an anti-foaming agent. You can get it from all the online retailers. Your LHBS probably has it too. You use 1 - 2 drops per gallon in the boil, before the boil starts, and it will keep the wort from foaming up and boiling over. I personally use 2 drops per gallon and have not had a boil over since I began using it.

Fermcap-S is an anti-foaming agent. You can get it from all the online retailers. Your LHBS probably has it too. You use 1 - 2 drops per gallon in the boil, before the boil starts, and it will keep the wort from foaming up and boiling over. I personally use 2 drops per gallon and have not had a boil over since I began using it.

No experience, but fermcap S is the same or very similar to infant gas drops available almost anywhere and likely cheaper. The active ingredient is simethicone, an anti foaming agent. Fwiw, it all settles out in your beer, and safe for newborns to ingest directly.

Have heard it works well.

Thanks for the info I've boiled with it three times now and am really liking it--I been coming in a little short I think it might just be me guessing on water volume I have it marked at 5-8-11-14 gallon--next batch I do I'll measure dead balls and figure out if its boil off--
29 gallons on the floor so far this season I'm gonna go over 200 gallon total this year at 180 now----

No experience, but fermcap S is the same or very similar to infant gas drops available almost anywhere and likely cheaper. The active ingredient is simethicone, an anti foaming agent. Fwiw, it all settles out in your beer, and safe for newborns to ingest directly.

Have heard it works well.

Thanks for reminding me of this. This is available from a large retailer for $3.62/1oz and Midwest Supplies has a 1oz Fermcap for $3.99 so the baby drops are slightly cheaper. My Fermcap supply is low. I think I'll give the baby drops a shot and see if it works the same.

BabyDrops.jpg

Latest posts

Back