1 st mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrythe9th

Reaction score
so I think I have this down. 4gals
6lbs White Clover Honey
4lbs Wildmountain Flower Honey (really hives up in the mountains)
12oz Buckwheat Honey
boiled 3 gal spring water let cool to 165f added honey's, transferred to 5 gal carboy
let cool over night OG 1.118
and dehydrated Lavin 1118 with 12g go ferm 20min
pure o2 injected for 1 min
added 1st stage 4.2g ea Ferm k and DAP
Pitched @61f deg
2nd stage 2.5gr ea Ferm k and DAP 18 hours later and 1min pure 02

waiting for 3rd stage..

should I inject o2 again??

I would say that two injections should be plenty. Most post I have read (and in my own experience) people tend to shake the must vigorously at the start and don't worry about it much after that. Great job on the staggard nutrients. I would say that from this point on finish the nutrient additions and you'll be set till the time comes to rack.

Concur with 2ndGenBrewer here.

Presumably you've hit the appropriate gravity points for something like a 1/3rd sugar break etc.......

Using lalvin EC-1118, I suspect it will ferment dry anyway.

Taking 1.000 as dry, a starting gravity of 1.118 will give you about 16% ABV - it may even go lower than 1.000 giving higher % alcohol. Just remember, that a difference between starting and finishing gravity of 132 or 133 points difference equates to 18% ABV, which is the tolerance of EC-1118

Hence if, when it's finished fermenting, it does have an "alcohol hot" sort of taste, then it's time to think about whether you're gonna age it for a good while or whether you'll back sweeten it (which will help to cover up an alcohol hot sort of taste) and then age it for a shorter time.......

regards

fatbloke

so need advice on this Mead, I have racked it twice and ready too rack again,
I split the batch into a 1gal jug for a traditional mead and 3gal into a 3gal glass carboy and want to add Red raspberry puree to it. how much puree should I add to it, I have a 3 lb can of Vintners puree.
at second racking I added Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate to stop the yeast,
when should I attempt to back sweeten with honey now or at bottling(planing around November)
Thanks

I haven't check FG yet but will this racking

so need advice on this Mead, I have racked it twice and ready too rack again,
I split the batch into a 1gal jug for a traditional mead and 3gal into a 3gal glass carboy and want to add Red raspberry puree to it. how much puree should I add to it, I have a 3lb can of Vintners puree.
at second racking I added Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate to stop the yeast,
when should I attempt to back sweeten with honey now or at bottling(planing around November)
Thanks

I haven't check FG yet but will this racking
Well it's quite hard to even make a guess. I mean, how much raw fruit does a 3lb can of puree actually represent ? Because if you know that, then you could just make an attempt at adding X amount because it would be the same as Y amount of fresh fruit.

Otherwise, it'd all just be a little hit and miss. Raspberry is good, but it can be quite over powering as well, so it might be that you'd need to add some to get the raspberry flavour you like, but then still have to be back sweetened because the level of raspberry you like has an adverse effect on the acidity taste and you need the extra sugars to mask it (the possible acidity).

Dunno if any of those thoughts help.....

regards

fatbloke

Thanks I kind of thought that "up to my taste" just wanting a starting point on how much
its a 3 lb can. was thinking of starting with half or 24oz. I will be back sweeting before bottling. so i can add more if needed
Thanks again

Back