1 gallon small batch of beer. 1 with corn and 1 with rice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
In your opinion, how much rice and corn would you mix with 2 lbs of malted barley to produce a decent beer?

If you have a recipe in mind, plug it into a brewing software and scale it down with the autoscale function. What kind of beer are you making? American light lager, standard American lager, premium American lager, classic American pilsner? Cream ale? More info needed.

Yes, a lot more information is needed. What kind of beer are you trying to make? What malted barley? What type of rice or corn.

I have never used rice and have only used flaked corn in pale ales. It was a small amount with several other ingredients.

Im just trying to produce an easy drinking beer like coors or bud light to start with.

Only difference is i want to use something other than hops for bittering. Ideas for that are welcome as well.

If you truly want to make a Coors or Bud Light type beer, you will have to do a lot of learning, have a way of accurate control over fermentation temperatures, a recipe a lot more complicated than 2 row and corn or rice.

If you want to make hooch try 80% 2 row and 20% corn or rice.

BTW, Coors or Bud Light will have hops as an ingredient.

Yeah i know they both have hops. Guess i should have opened with that im trying to make something that my girlfriend can drink as well. She is allergic to hops. So i want to find an alternative bittering agent. But yeah, ive only made beer from kits ive received. So its going to take some practice on my end. I want to try using juniper berries as well as citrus peels for bittering but have to figure it out first. So essentially its going to be gruit and not a beer for say.

Sorry, your posts sounded like some of the beginners asking things like "can I make these ingredients into a 12% ABV beer."

I've never tried gruit, only traditional beers with Hops, water, malted barley and yeast. Sometimes with adjuncts.

I would do an internet search for gruit recipes. You should get some ideas that way. I am sure that you can make something using 2 row and flaked corn or flaked rice. For a good tasting brew you may need some other ingredients also.

I always up for a challenge and i definitely like to stand out and go against the grain with alot of things. Ive made quite a few custom wines. For example, a buddy of mine is an avid fan of cholula sauce. So he wanted me to try a cholula wine. Very unorthodox, but i tried it. Made a tomato wine and in the secodary, infused the 2 chili peppers they make it with. Came out pretty damn good. Was insane with heat level. He loved it as a drinking wine. I would use it as a cooking wine with pulled pork or added to a chili.

Interesting.....

Mind giving a rundown on the chile wine?
Well i start off with an assortment of different tomatoes. Roughly 4 lbs of them with 2 lbs of sugar. Add enough water to make a 1 gallon mash. The tomatoes would be crushed in a straining bag. So all and all just multiply by how ever many gallons you want to make. So after the tomato wine has finished fermenting, then i took the dried version of both peppers they use in Cholula sauce and infused the wine for a week. Had a dark red color and smelled great and spicy. Think if it was distilled it would make a great pepper vodka.

I was just reading about Norwegian juniper no-boil beer the other day. In that particular case they used hops, but there are plenty "raw ale" things on the interwebz about ale before the time of hops, where Google is your friend

Latest posts

Back