“Purged server” accumulating organic deposits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Wraith

Reaction score
Been going around turning over rocks lately in an attempt to uncover clues to recent poor cider results. Having examined some sacred cows possibly a fundamental issue has been identified but that’s a pearl-clutcher for another day. In searching, however, did look into sanitation and found something unsettling about which there had been a sneaking suspicion. In the practice of exhausting CO2 from a fermenter through a sanitized future server to (reasonably) purge it of O2 …
purge.jpeg

… on about day four on a micro test batch the lid was opened (sacrificing the “purge”) for a check. First was the powerful fruity, organic smell ... and then the discovery, the keg walls had a slimy film. The slimy deposit layer on the floor was thick enough to be formed into ridges with dark crests. Not having a laboratory can’t say if microbial growth was setting up, but given enough time how couldn’t it be? Now working on a new approach that should suit cider making better anyway, however, over is leaving purged servers at room temperature with organic deposits without the benefit of alcohol. Not intending to imply anyone change anything, just throwing out another data point. And again, this was with cider so don’t know how that would translate to beer. FYI -

Last edited:
In addition to the obvious cleaning of the kegs, you might consider throwing away 100% of the rubber gaskets and starting over with them - there are keg rebuild kits available and of course all the individual gaskets as well. Once you're down to just stainless clean the snot out of them.

Looking through photos and realized deposits are visible in this zoomed-in image. This is four days of heavy organic flow through this previously thoroughly cleaned and sanitized keg ... won't be putting any more fresh beverage on that ... and again, this is cider, don't know about beer -

deposts.jpeg

Edit - and again, the disclaimer, "Not intending to imply anyone change anything, just throwing out another data point."

Last edited:
I know a lot of folk purge with fermentation gas, but I won't because you've just confirmed my concern.... maybe there was an initial sanitation issue, but all the same, I decided that if I ever try it, I'd put one of these inline:
https://www.amazon.com/Hepa-Sanitary-Air-Filter-line/dp/B01BWMRG4MThat's just a thought.. as said, I haven't done it and for now I'm comfortable with the expense of CO2 I use to purge after sanitizing. Just my 2 cents.

Back