Method to install element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
Ive seen different ways to install element and the one i really like is the one with the integrated plug. Ive already bought the elements now can I install that plug. Attached is what I want to have.

Cheers

View attachment 1481073204204.jpg

Other than "bling" I don't see why one would need both a triclover adapter AND a plug on the element. Too many unnecessary expensive L6-30P connections, but that's just me.

Other than "bling" I don't see why one would need both a triclover adapter AND a plug on the element. Too many unnecessary expensive L6-30P connections, but that's just me.

I found that installing the element withing a electrical box is too much and when it come to clean it seems harder compare to this you just remove the trip clamp and remove the elements.

I found this so I guess is it possible, just need the right parts:
https://brewhaequipment.com/blogs/h...new-100-stainless-brewha-ulwd-heating-element
https://brewhaequipment.com/collections/extras/products/electric-water-heating-element

Ive seen different ways to install element and the one i really like is the one with the integrated plug. Ive already bought the elements now can I install that plug. Attached is what I want to have.

Cheers

like this one? (scroll down on the page)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...62175659.html?spm=a2700.7724838.30.260.wVmlxj

bobby also sells them at brewhardware.com but they are $75 plus shipping there. I dont know what the difference is between the two chinese made elements but I would like to know.

I just used one of his hotpod enclosures for $9 and added small pigtail with the correct 20a nema plug for my 18amp 4500w elements on the end myself. I dont remove my element and dont see the need too since its all stainless and easily wipes clean in the kettle (ULWD is much easier to clean than LWD or HWD.)

Link works for me

Looks like the elements with the plug prongs directly on them are just pins for the male plug portion to attach. Of course it's a special piece.

The brewhaequipment links look like the still dragon enclosure.

After communicating back and forth all evening I was able to find that these are only available to fit a 2" ferrule. A bit disappointing at $10 a piece as my two boilers have 1-1/2" ferrules but I'll be ordering a larger 50 gal. spikes pot in Feb.

I like the idea of being able to remove the element for cleaning. I'm constantly digging crap out of the element that I'm currently using plus I like the twist lock connection and the ability to hang up my cables out of the way when not in use.

After communicating back and forth all evening I was able to find that these are only available to fit a 2" ferrule. A bit disappointing at $10 a piece as my two boilers have 1-1/2" ferrules but I'll be ordering a larger 50 gal. spikes pot in Feb.

I like the idea of being able to remove the element for cleaning. I'm constantly digging crap out of the element that I'm currently using plus I like the twist lock connection and the ability to hang up my cables out of the way when not in use.

Thats where i got this from spike brewing. I might just buy the herm system

It doesnt look like a 2" ferrule? I havent installed any tc fitting on my kettle yet though... They were a bit more for me in this configuration....$16 figures because now that I inquired and placed an order the price went from $3-10 on that link to $25-30 overnight and they updated the pictures...Hmm (I still have the original page and the3 new one open in my browser and the link is identical) at that price with shipping they would be like $40-50 each... I really hope one of the resellers didnt go to them and complain about undercutting. It more likely that a bunch of people saw my posts and contacted them in the last day or two..

I wonder if the forum would allow us to take orders in a thread for a massive group purchase... they are $14 each when ordering 100 or more. I dont know if it would violate any rules. especially with vendors selling them for $75 each here...Any mods reading this that could let me know?

element1.jpg

Yes and plugged. I know. Would be legal in north america

I wasnt talking about legalities... I was mentioning it because when you remove the element and carry it to whereever you clean it after each brewing session you will have a cord attached... after using one for years I just want to be able to remove the cord... removing the element is not important in my configuration. I clean it in the kettle. plus I could use the extra spcae where my element enclosure currently dictates where my kettle sits on my brew stand.

If you just going that route you have a lot of options... like this one
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotpod-ewl.htm

Its what I have on my current setup although even if you buy a $30 all stainless element your going to be at over $50 total so the one you linked would be better.

Link works for me

Looks like the elements with the plug prongs directly on them are just pins for the male plug portion to attach. Of course it's a special piece.

The brewhaequipment links look like the still dragon enclosure.

It just worked for me now too. It was down. then I just tried it again and I get 404 page...

It doesnt look like a 2" ferrule? look at the size of the plug in reference. They were a bit more for me in this configuration....$16 figures because now that I inquired and placed an order the price went from $3-10 on that link to $25-30 overnight and they updated the pictures...Hmm at that price with shipping they would be like $40-50 each...

I wonder if the forum would allow us to take orders in a thread for a massive group purchase... they are $14 each when ordering 100 or more. I dont know if it would violate any rules. especially with vendors selling them for $75 each here...

If this element can be purchased with a 1.5" TC, I would be in for 3 of them @$15ish each.

If this element can be purchased with a 1.5" TC, I would be in for 3 of them @$15ish each.

are those cheap element they sell on Alibaba worth it? is it good quality? I something worry when something is sold cheap especially when investing a lot of money in a home brewery and do not want to screw **** up

are those cheap element they sell on Alibaba worth it? is it good quality? I something worry when something is sold cheap especially when investing a lot of money in a home brewery and do not want to screw **** up

I am willing to bet they are the same quality as the chinese elements being resold for much more by US resellers. many of the reseller here order much of thier stuff from Alibaba I have found and shown that in many threads.... you can even find glacier and stout conicals up there since the manufactuers will sell to anyone who places a large order. They look to be good quality. I will let you know when I receive mine. I'm not making any spacific claims here but in general, resellers love guys with your attitude ... If they charge more people just assume its better whether it is or not. ironically it effects reviews too... I seen a study where they sold the same product at two pricepoints and the one sold for more money actually got better reviews.. its all about perception.

1.5" is the round plate so you can clamp both end with the trip clamp? that would be perfect and good price too. let me know if you find some for that price.

$75 on http://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500_ripple_tc.htm
Yes its like one seller set the bar at this $75 pricepoint so the others have followed... I guess I dont blame them... why have to sell 20 a week when you can make just as much selling 10... less overhead and work as long as theres no one else with better pricing on the same or comparable product youve got it made.. I dont know, Just about everything else sold there has always been very reasonably priced from what I've found... Who knows maybe theres something I dont know here I'm trying not to be quick to make assumptions here but its a drastic difference to ignore...maybe there is some unsaid price setting rule and sellers dont like to undercut each other IDK I can only wait for my elements to arrive.

yes one seller set the bar at this $75 pricepoint so the others have followed... I guess I dont blame them... why have to sell 20 a week when you can make just as much selling 10... less overhead and work. Just about everything else sold there has always been very reasonably priced from what I've found... Who knows maybe theres something I dont know here.. I can only wait for my elements to arrive.

I already have 2 camco elements 5500W, what I would like is just the pin L6-30P but havent found anywhere, not even I can get that to install

I already have 2 camco elements 5500W, what I would like is just the pin L6-30P but havent found anywhere, not even I can get that to install

Are they the camcos sold for homebrewing though? if not I had the same ones.. the ones sold at hardware stores all have nickel plated steel bases that quickly start rusting in your kettle... You want one with a stainless base .. they will be marketed as such and priced higher for the brewing market. The regular camcos are sold as stainless but they omit that the base is not.

you can easily wire up any 25A connector to a cord to power these... I use speakon connectors myself. there are 25a aviation connectors as well.. even waterproof ones (I bought one to wire onto my hotpod but it would stick off my kettle too far)

I found the same thing. When they confirmed my order the price jumped from $10 to $20. I noticed the jump in price as well. I won't need these for a couple months though so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I bitched about the bait & switch and them doubling the price. I'll wait a bit and see what transpires. $40 is still better than $75.

It doesnt look like a 2" ferrule?

I agree. The body of a L630-P is 45mm diameter or just a little over 1.75"
The ferrule on a 1.5" TC is 16/1000" less than 2" in diameter. The ferrule on a 2.0" TC is just over 2.5" diameter. Looking at the picture, the body of the plug looks like it is just slightly smaller than ferrule. It doesn't look 3/4" smaller than the ferrule.

is it possible to get weldless tc fitting? what is the pros and cons?

They make ones you can silver solder onto the kettle...

Yes, Brewhardware has a great one that I silver soldered onto my keggle. (Also silver soldered a flat one onto the bottom of my mash tun.)

I like sitting back and watching all the speculation about what we vendors are doing and how we buy everything on Alibaba. I'll give you some hints and hopefully it won't come off as abrasive or defensive. The current state of the market goes like this. A vendor spends $x on R&D, CAD drawings, 3D printed prototypes and then when happy with the design they go to several manufacturers that are capable (or claim to be) manufacturing those designs. After getting turned down by all the U.S. manufacturers, the designer goes to China. They are happy to produce the product if you either pay $xxxx. for the mold for any plastic pieces or at least commit to X number of units to cover that cost. After some time, either that same manufacturer offers the same product to other vendors (who now don't have to cover mold costs) or they put the product up on Aliexpress to direct retail market at a price that the U.S. vendor cannot compete with. Another thing that happens is Chinese vendors steal images or mocks up products by epoxying some 3D printed parts together for a non functioning prototype and they will get the molds made after the bulk order comes in.

I get it, you want really good prices. The only way I can stay in business is to stay ahead of the curve and hope that I can pull any profit before the copy Chinese retailers can get to my latest product. It's not going to get any better for innovators. Eventually this model will drive us out of business and then the newest products will be driven by Chinese folks that don't even brew.

I like sitting back and watching all the speculation about what we vendors are doing and how we buy everything on Alibaba. I'll give you some hints and hopefully it won't come off as abrasive or defensive. The current state of the market goes like this. A vendor spends $x on R&D, CAD drawings, 3D printed prototypes and then when happy with the design they go to several manufacturers that are capable (or claim to be) manufacturing those designs. After getting turned down by all the U.S. manufacturers, the designer goes to China. They are happy to produce the product if you either pay $xxxx. for the mold for any plastic pieces or at least commit to X number of units to cover that cost. After some time, either that same manufacturer offers the same product to other vendors (who now don't have to cover mold costs) or they put the product up on Aliexpress to direct retail market at a price that the U.S. vendor cannot compete with. Another thing that happens is Chinese vendors steal images or mocks up products by epoxying some 3D printed parts together for a non functioning prototype and they will get the molds made after the bulk order comes in.

I get it, you want really good prices. The only way I can stay in business is to stay ahead of the curve and hope that I can pull any profit before the copy Chinese retailers can get to my latest product. It's not going to get any better for innovators. Eventually this model will drive us out of business and then the newest products will be driven by Chinese folks that don't even brew.

Bobby thanks for setting a few things straight. I understand what your saying and I have heard some of your frustrations before from customers of mine who have closed their factories in search of greater profits overseas... and yes your right its a crappy deal.. IF your the guy who designed or paid to have someone draw it up in cad and made it happen..
I got the impression though this time around that this wasnt something you had brought to production.. especially when I saw it up on alibaba before I saw that you carried it.. and when I saw what I believed to be competitors of yours like brewboss also selling this for the same price and they appear to be from the same manufactuer.. I dont know what you pay for you stuff that you order from china as wholesale and your right its none of my business but honestly you cant blame me for wondering if these elements average for $3 in bulk from multiple manufacturing companies in china with the regular post screw connection on it,why would someone pay much more than 2 to 3 times that for a different simpler tc base and 30a plug mounted to it? I would have to believe that even the person who paid a cad designer for a days work because lets be honest thats all we are talking here, would not be paying more than $15-20 per unit because anything more would be unreasonable in scale to what it costs for the element in its original form.. They are replacing the threaded base with a TC plate which in all honesty would not cost any more once tooling is done.. Then they solder and mount a 30 outlet plug which also likely costs them less than a dollar..
That said the more I thought about all this the more I though it best not to make assumptions... Now I work with cad designers and manufacturing companies every day and I know how marketing works these days and I also know if a company can take a product that cost $4 to make in the states but sells for $40 and make it overseas and ship it back for $3.50 than chances are they are going to do that because that what the stock holder want. I also really do believe your making a healthy profit off of those elements as it stands and you have recouped any cost inferred to you my now. I am nobody.. just an opinionated prick on a forum but I have stated here and many times before that your prices and business practices are pretty much the most honest and reasonable Ive seen it this hobby and I really want to believe your only charging the normal 35% to 100% markups that everyone else seems to charge but you have to put yourself in my shoes and understand why when Im quoted $14 each for these if I buy 100 as a guy coming in out of no where why I would be upset and question all this. Especially when I was aware that pretty much every manufacturer on alibaba was selling these elements with the standard mounting and wiring connections for between $3-10 and others like Ebrew have sure seem to have already been marking those up quite a bit and reselling them. I have ordered things off alibaba before and I know its not all cheap knock offs like the perception often is made out to be. I also know a lot of vendors buy from there.

one of my customer actually has a side job as a scab for a company based out of canada who has hm draw up cad drawing of the designs of a local company based on their product... and the canadian company has them made overseas for a fraction of the cost.. So its really a world wide thing and not just china... if it didnt happen at all everyone would pretty much be able to charge whatever they wanted and their would be less motivation to improve and innovate.

Another hobby of mine is motorcycles, the Chinese are manufacturing a steady supply of small displacement dual sport enduro bikes that are driven all over the world. The engines are typically a Honda clone variety circa 1970. Simple and durable of decent quality.

I can tell you that what you see on various sites such as alibaba is merely only a dream as far as availability and pricing. Just because a certain element is listed at $3 - $10 is meaningless!!!!

To me it means that a Chinese manufacture would like to contract to build the item and those are estimated meaningless prices.

Please refrain from thinking these prices represent the real world, they don't.

To see an item on alibaba and assume that is what a US vendor is paying is very naive, and really not fair to that vendor for it to be restated here as fact.

"It must be true, I saw it on the Internet", BANG HEAD!!!

I had a client several years ago in China (I design medical devices). I was in their factory in central China and watched over a period of a few weeks while they cloned an American chiropractic device. An exact clone, plastic, metals, they even pulled the firmware binary off the microprocessor and put it in their own. They showed me what they had done and they were proud of it! - no shame at all. They asked me to dis-assemble the firmware and add some feature to the firmware. Uh... no.

Back