Pale Ale w/ Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
I have been brewing style after style out of Jamil Z's book, and am looking to throw in a fun project beer coming up. I have not yet brewed with Rye Malt, and want to experiment with it. I have had a Stout and a IPA with Rye, though haven't really been able to pick out the "Rye" character in either.

I was thinking it might be good to try an American Pale Ale, with a # of Rye thrown in there to see how it affects the beer. Here is what I had come up with. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Recipe: Pale Ale With Rye
Style: Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.23 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 43.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.40 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.50 lb
----------------------------
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.38 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

if you make that, post the results somewhere as far as flavor.
im making the AHS partial mash rye pale ale kit as my first foray into rye malt.

To me, it seems that the Rye really comes through in the paler brews. I think you have a good starting point there.

Looks tasty. I'm currently drinking my own Rye APA. I think I used a bit more rye (about 15%) and a bit less specialty grain. I'm not sure a pound of rye will be enough to give you a lot of rye character.

I use 1.5 pounds of flaked rye in my Bent Rod Rye, which is 9 lbs. total. I'd be tempted to increase the rye or reduce the Vienna.

Alright great suggestions. The purpose of the brew is really the Rye, so I doubled it to 2#s of Rye, increased the 2-row by a #, and cut out the Vienna. Figure no real use for the Vienna if I am getting color from the Rye and some sweetness from the Crystal.

Ok, yea I was wondering about rice hulls, though I hear from alot of people with the Cooler/SSbraid mlts that stuck mashes are not too much of an issue. I may still use some.

niquejim said:
I did not need rice hulls but the first runoff was a bit slow
+1. My braid MLT had no problems with 15% rye, but the first runoff was slow. Any more rye or smaller crush (I use the LHBS), and I'd want some rice hulls.

Back