Cheap 2 roller grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlatLander

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am starting to move into all grain brewing and am needing a mill to grind my grains. I saw this mill while browsing AliExpress today and wondered if anyone had anything to say about it. It says it has stainless steel rollers. It does not say whether it has bearings or bronze bushings but there is some feedback left by a guy in Russia that seems to indicate they are bearings and not bushings. Anyway take a look and give any feedback, cautions or advice you can.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fac...1445920793.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.42.fkyHx0

Thanks.

If you are in the US, there are a few dealers who would sell you a similar mill plus a wood mounting plate for that price shipped. That way if you have a problem you don't have to travel to China to resolve it. The rollers may or may not be stainless; it could just be a translation error. In any event, stainless steel rollers neither grind better nor last longer unless they are stored in a very wet environment (it is the corrosion resistance that drives some to select SS). My Monster Mill has SS rollers, but only because that is the model my LHBS had in stock when I decided to buy one.

That is the same mill as a cereal killer mill only not repackaged but sold directly from china. I have that same mill it does have bearings and I have had mine for a few years now. It works very well. I do not have the stainless roller option though. as mentioned earlier there are a number of sellers that sell these on ebay and the like with the hardened steel rollers. The only time I think stainless rollers would have an advantage is if you were conditioning thae grain and milling it damp... Which I never really understood the need for myself. (BTW I paid $99 with free shipping for my mill on sale from adventured in home brewing . It came with the wooded base.) I have seen them on ebay for as little as $70 shipped.

I have ordered LED flashlights from China before, and it typically takes 3 weeks or longer to get my stuff. Do your homework and make sure it is decent quality. Those Chinese websites typically have no compunction for swapping an item out for one they feel is equivalent to what you ordered. You may not feel the same...

It really depends on how the seller ships from china.. I order stuff from there on an almost weekly basis and I've had stuff show up in 2 days or 2 months.. and I second them swapping things out but aliexpress has crazy good purchase protection actually.

Back