Tropical Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanick74

Reaction score
:ban:Hi I want to share pictures of my first flowering Hops , I'm growing in Yucatan Península, under extremely warm temperatures with highs of 43 ° C, and at a latitude of 20 ° .

They come from seeds purchased from different parts of the world , because in mexico is not possible to acquire rhizomes.

these received at the end of November 2015 and germinated in early 2016 , so the plants are about 8 months old and already beginning to bloom. This fills me with joy.

Regards.

Yanick.

IMG_20160620_150628.jpg

IMG_20160620_150517.jpg

IMG_20160619_124435.jpg

IMG_20160510_174726.jpg

IMG_20160510_174851.jpg

Yanick, I know hops arent true from seeds, but any idea what kind of seeds yours were? and do you have any male plants?

Yours is an interesting experiment, I'm very curious to see which ones do well in the tropical climate. The ones that do best may lead to a disease and mildew resistant super-hop!

so far I have only found one male and 15 females about 100 plants in total.

these seeds I buyed un ebay, from Slovakia , the other pictures are from a batch of seeds from USA , which I received the seed package in January this year and apparently already have flower.

I try to buy seeds from all over the world to my ability to have genetic diversity.

the seeds that I could not even purchase are the neomexicana because with this I have a hunch on my project , if anyone in this forum has seeds for the next season to exchange I would be very happy.

Much help that the plants are indoors in a greenhouse, it will be interesting to taste will have as heat stress produced at the plant like the cold.

IMG_20160619_105817.jpg

IMG_20160621_135329.jpg

IMG_20160621_134918.jpg

Great experiment growing them so far out of their normal latitude range. It looks like you have quite a serious setup there and that puts the odds in your favor. Good luck!

I have two neomexicanus plants, but both of mine are female, so unfortunately I wont have any seeds for you. Maybe someone on here from NM or CO can collect some seeds from the wild for you.

Excited to see what slovakia- US hybirds you produce. I think that how they made Cascade...

Back