Unboxing the Nano from CO Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, sure looks like the shipping company used those boxes as stools or kick balls!:eek: And you were missing you sight glass and fittings that wouldn't work?..Shame on Co Brewing to ship without the sight glass..Personally, if I spent the $'s for this system, I would have been on the phone with them as soon as seeing the condition of the boxes, and had them on the line as I unpacked and assembled...Hope they fix it for you..

Cant wait to see it unwrapped...

Am i the only one who thought "Well la de da look at this ****ing guy with floor molding in his garage" :)

Is that a thing in certain places ive never seen such a thing.

When we first started to shop homes from this builder I said nearly the same thing about the garage. If it wasn't for the fact that we built the house so my dad could live with us (selling 2 homes to build 1 new one) there is no way we'd end up here. Funny thing is, it really doesn't cost much to paint and put up crown molding in a garage but it sure has an impact.

Boy, sure looks like the shipping company used those boxes as stools or kick balls!:eek: And you were missing you sight glass and fittings that wouldn't work?..Shame on Co Brewing to ship without the sight glass..Personally, if I spent the $'s for this system, I would have been on the phone with them as soon as seeing the condition of the boxes, and had them on the line as I unpacked and assembled...Hope they fix it for you..

I failed to get a true picture of how it looked off the truck. It came on a pallet and we had to take it off in order for it to fit in the garage. We cam really close to whacking the garage door before I saw the problem. I think it was all wrapped on the pallet in one giant ball.

The missing sight glass will be sent today. I had an immediate response.

The fittings not working is my fault. They gave me some fittings that should work for any chilling option, but I never looked at my specific chill plate to see if they would work. One of the reasons I decided to NOT build a system all on my own was because of how terrible I am with getting all the details correct.

Height should be 80" but I didn't measure. My garage door is 7.5' and I have a decent clearance.

I ran some Starsan through the system and found some good and bad. I was surprised to see the kettle will drain near to the bottom. It did this with the pump off. I'm wondering if I could go right from the kettle to the chill plate. Seems like when it starts following it keeps going. So my losses should just be trub.

The bad was the awkward disconnects on the pump. I might rotate the head. Or I just need to learn.

View attachment 1459709391331.jpg

View attachment 1459709404534.jpg

I ran some Starsan through the system and found some good and bad. I was surprised to see the kettle will drain near to the bottom. It did this with the pump off. I'm wondering if I could go right from the kettle to the chill plate. Seems like when it starts following it keeps going. So my losses should just be trub.

The bad was the awkward disconnects on the pump. I might rotate the head. Or I just need to learn.
Great looking system! I hope to order mine within the next month or two.

Do those feet screw in to the bottom of the frame so you can adjust for level? Wondering if they can be replaced with casters to easily move the unit when needed...

Great looking system! I hope to order mine within the next month or two.

Do those feet screw in to the bottom of the frame so you can adjust for level? Wondering if they can be replaced with casters to easily move the unit when needed...

Yup. They have nuts welded to the bottom. Here is a picture. I assume casters could be found with the same thread.

IMG_20160327_134859.jpg

I would use the pump so you can slow down the flow and get it as close as you can to your pitching temp.

Also on the pump I would add a 90 to the output to get it horizontal, may make it easier with the tri clamps.

Well darn. I just realized I didn't run a self tune on the PID during my last test. I will have to look into doing that later.

I'm eagerly awaiting my 20g system (or rather pot and basket) to arrive from them, and will follow this thread to compare results/ tips.

What is your impression of the whirlpool/recirc fitting, as well as the solid walled basket? I added both of those as options to my kit. Happy to see the dip tube working well.

I'm worried about the whirlpool from a debris point of view. I've always used a hop sack. It should work but seems like it might be tricky. Physically the fittings are great, just need to see if I can operate the process and not clog my plate chiller.

I think the solid wall basket will be good. I'm tempted to try a full volume mash but that basket seems well suited for a quick sparge after mash. I'm debating what to set my grain mill to fit the first batch. It needs to be fine but I don't want to go crazy. I have a feeling my numbers are going to be terrible but a while.

I can't wait until I get more comfortable with it and try a 10g batch.

If all goes well I will brew my first batch this weekend. Going to try a simple 5g pale ale recipe to start.

It's been a long day but I want to at least post some thoughts and maybe a slew of pictures. I'm exhausted and on my 3rd homebrew clone of Maine Beer Company's A Tiny Beautiful Ale. So here goes.

First snag in the day was when I looked in the kettle and found it stained. Last I left it was with Starsan so this confused me. I had to break out Barkeepers friend to re-clean what was supposed to be a clean kettle. I also had to throw out all the containers that had that batch of Starsan and reclean them. This would hurt me later. It was at this time that I realized working with a LARGE kettle is bothersome. Even more so when that kettle is tethered with 2 cables. Something to get used to.

Next I decide to adjust my grain mill from .049 to .039 crush. No big deal just another task. I consulted Beersmith and Priceless BIAB and decide that 8.3 gallons of mash water is needed. I measure out 2 gallons of distilled then add my tap water.

Something odd happened here. For some reason I thought my sight glass was off. I even took a picture and planned to post about it. But looking back, the picture seems correct. But this doesn't explain the results at the end. But this stops me from measuring volumes since I falsely assumed the sight glass was wrong and I had no other means to measure.

My next mistake is heating the water. I heat to 167 instead of 157. When I do mash I'm way over. I start to stir a bunch and also start the whirlpool. I set the temp for 154 and try to burn off heat by stirring. But I figure I have to just push forward.

Next is the biggest mistake. I think the recirc is going well so I start to tackle re-cleaning my carboys that had that batch of Starsan that stained the kettle. During this time I hear hissing and notice a ton of steam. Yes, my element is burning. The grain bed was now restricting the flow and the element was dry under the bed. I shut down everything (including my timer) and wait it out. The element finally calms down and the level is back to normal. Now I figure out I need to have the flow much slower. This might not be as big an issue with a 10g batch.

So I know for sure that I've burned the wort but the good news is the element is still working. I read some posts on the topic and I consider myself lucky in that regard. I turn the recirc down to a very small amount and let it go. I start a new timer using my phone based on an estimate. I play with the flow a while until I find the right amount. But I notice the wort is just going straight down. Eventually I add a hose to help with the recirc. This creates a slight whirlpool visible on the top. I finally leave it alone but I never stray from the kettle and I keep a close eye on the sight glass.

Mash ends and I bump the temp to 168. I realize this is kind of silly since mashing out is not needed. So I just hoist the grains up and go to manual mode and dial in 90% on the heat. A minor error here. The element quickly heats to boil before the mash drains. Turns out 60% is enough. But this is a factor of doing a 5g batch with an element that can handle 10g batches. So I will need to adjust going forward.

I wrestle a bit with hosting the mash. But Tim (the owner) suggest using the lid. I finally manage to get the basket up and the lid under it. I then disconnect and bring both over to my driveway so the basket can drain. I adjust the power to the element to get a decent boil. Add my hops and start the timer. One odd thing I notice is the boil is centered on the element. I have two patches of hop oils to either side of the element. I debated trying to whirlpool but I quickly decide not to. Not a big deal just odd.

Everything goes well from here for a while. At boil end I start whirlpool. It took me a while to figure out how to get the hoses connected without spilling. This is a new dangerous aspect. These hoses can have very hot wort so you have to be careful.

Now I'm into new territory of using a plate chiller. It takes me a while to plan out how to move the tubes. I turn the pump off and wait for the wort to settle. I'm not sure what to think here. You can't see what is going on so it's hard to say when everything is "settled". It might be about 10 minutes before I can't SEE anything moving but who knows what is really going on.

By the time I get the courage to start the pump into the chiller the wort is down to 177. I take a thermapen to test the wort as it goes into the carboy. Considering how my day is going I expect that the wort will melt my Better Bottle carboy. But I'm surprised to see the wort coming out of the chiller at 68. I used a prechiller inside a cooler of ice because I live in Texas but I probably didn't need it. It hasn't been hot here yet. But still the results are amazing. I guess these plate chillers do work. Now I just have to watch the level as the wort drains. I'm trying to avoid the last disaster of killing my pump.

I'm still not sure what went wrong but as the drain is near the end I'm not near 5g in the fermenter. I end up with about 4.75. To make matters worse the fermenter appears to have tons of trub. One good bit of news is that I can see serious trub in the tubing before my plate chiller so I stopped at the exact right time. But I can see all kinds of break or something in the fermenter so it isn't all good news. And to top it all off my gravity readings are low.

After that is clean up. This is where I realize how heavy a 20g pot is. I also realize how hard it is to clean a burnt element. It will take some getting used to so I can figure out how best to do this. It's also very awkward having a kettle with "holes" in it. I don't like to dump toxic cleaners into my driveway or lawn so lugging the kettle to the sink while it has Barkeepers Friend in it was messy. And while the plate chiller was great, I ended up using more water to chill. I saved much of it so I can could clean later but it was a new experience.

Whew. Now I'm too tired to post the pictures but at least I have some to share later. I won't make the same mistake on the element again. But I'm really worried about the volumes being so far off. It could be any number of things. One thing I might try different is to put the grains into the basket first then add that to the water. I think that might cut down on all the dust. For the volume issue? I first might look at upping the evaporation rate from 1.5 to 1.75. And I might look to bump the trub loss calculation up from .5 gallons. I haven't decided if I want to do 5 gallons again or jump to 10 gallons.

Just writing this novel has worn me out. And the blinking ads for Stout Tanks and Kettles is beginning to bother me. Time for sleep before I really begin to ramble. Hopefully I will at least wake to fermentation although I don't expect the taste to be very good. Cheers everyone.

:tank:

Sorry for your tough brew day. Unsure what you are meaning with the StarSan stain?? 8.3 gallons total water is all you needed? I have nearly 8 gallons preboil (6 into the fermentor) and I only have a 10 gallon kettle. Your 20 should have more boil off. Sounds like you have a lot of dialing in and maybe someone has a BeerSmith Equipment Profile they could share to help everyone out in the future.

Also, Barkeepers Friend is not toxic.

Here are a few pictures from the day. The empty kettle is after I cleaned but you can barely see a slight stain on the bottom. Still not sure what I was thinking on the sight glass. It is close to what I planned. Why I thought that water amount was OK is beyond stupid. I was to busy thinking other things I guess. Also a quick picture of the grains. Next time I will get a close up. Can't really see the crush in this picture.

View attachment 1460383588667.jpg

View attachment 1460383661507.jpg

View attachment 1460383782520.jpg

First of all, cheer up. after all of that it will probably be your best beer to date. It's just how these darned things go.

Second, it was your first go round on a totally new, complex system. There are sure to be kinks. None of your missteps were anything new for a lot of folks here- I know I've made many (including dry firing my element).

Volumes you'll get a feel for- just start with a bit more strike water.

As for cleaning, I think BKF is biodegradable. When my system comes in, I am definitely going to look into a CIP ball. You can get tri-clamp versions. It may not get 100% clean, but it can take care of most of the major stuff.

Good luck- keep on with the updates!

Here you can see changing the tubes to prepare for post boil, and the hoisting of the mash basket. If you let it hang just inside the kettle the dripping goes right in and it won't sway. I also included a quick picture of the boiling and one to show cleaning the basket. I had hoped to dump right into a garbage bag but the kitchen bags were to narrow so I had to scoop out out.

View attachment 1460385294957.jpg

View attachment 1460385316016.jpg

View attachment 1460385340153.jpg

View attachment 1460385354536.jpg

Dang that 5gal looks measly in that big pot.

Guess you don't have to worry about boilovers!
Yeah it does. Almost makes me wonder if a 15 gallon kettle is more suited for me. 10 gallon batches are rare, but I was hoping to have the ability to do both without the need for sparging with another kettle.

I ordered 20 gallon and mostly do 5 gallon batches. [emoji51]Hope it won't be to difficult or I may just have to do 10 gallons and start giving a lot more away.

Yeah it does. Almost makes me wonder if a 15 gallon kettle is more suited for me. 10 gallon batches are rare, but I was hoping to have the ability to do both without the need for sparging with another kettle.

If it helps, this was a 12.25 lb grain bill. I think it depends on what you brew. I bet I can't do a 10g huge beer without a sparge. Also a 5g small beer might be tough.

Back