Wiseacre coffee milk stout clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a delicious beer. I've never had the pleasure of trying this beer, but here's probably what I'd try for a first stab at it. You'll have to adjust for your efficiency. For a 5 gallon batch:

OG: 1.051-ish

86-88% Domestic 2-row or a 50/50 blend of domestic and Maris Otter (not to exceed 86-88% of total grain bill)
8-9% Crisp Roasted Barley
4-5% Rolled Oats
1.0 # Lactose (10 min)
15 IBUs Bravo (FWH)
0 IBU Bravo (Whirlpool) - Try to chill fast enough so there isn't additional bitterness contribution
US-05
Coffee Toddy at packaging

Mash at 151-153F. Start fermentation at 63F, then ramp up a couple degrees over a couple days.

I have a blonde coffee milk stout that's made its way into my regular rotation. So far I've made it with blends of South American beans but they've turned out having a slight peppery note. I'm a complete coffee noob, but a buddy of mine is waaaaay into coffee and introduced me to some from Ethiopia, and they seem to be completely missing that peppery note. So I'd definitely go that route. Here's a great write-up on how to do a cold-brew coffee toddy. This is the process I've used and definitely recommend. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/cold-brew-coffee-adding-coffee-beer/

Hope that helps

Well, I brewed & kegged my attempt at GGU2GD! It tastes great! My wife says its my best homebrew yet! I ran out of ice on brew day and got impatient after 2 hours trying to cool it down. I ended up pitching yeast with temp still at 80 degrees F. My temp corrected OG was 1.073 & FG was 1.030. Color turned out lighter than I expected even after adding all the coffee at keg time. This is the recipe I used in Brewer's Friend, the crystal & chocolate malt I just had left over from before:

Method: BIAB
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.94 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.043 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.053 Final Gravity: 1.016 ABV (standard): 4.96% IBU (tinseth): 14.88 SRM (morey): 29.15
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
8 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 72.7%
1 lb American - Roasted Barley 33 300 9.1%
0.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 4.5%
1 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) - (late addition) 41 1 9.1%
0.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 2.3%
0.25 lb American - Chocolate 29 350 2.3%
11 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Bravo Pellet 15.5 Boil 16 min 14.88
Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
0.5 oz Bravo Pellet 15.5
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
7.13 gal -- 152 F 60 min
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
16 oz coffee Flavor Bottling 14 days
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Attenuation (avg):
81%
Flocculation:
Medium
Optimum Temp:
54 - 77 °F
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
70 °F
Pitch Rate:

About 17 cups of cold brewed Gevalia Expresso ground coffee added at keg time. Trying to upload pic but won't work.
Kind of a chocolate brown.

I live right down the road from Wiseacre, and GGUTGD is one of my favorites. Your bride says it's your best beer yet (which I'm guessing means she likes it - which is always a good thing,) and you said it tastes great (I'll bet it does,) so how did yours compare to the original? Is it really a clone, or better described as "inspired by" and pretty close?
Cheers!
Ed
:mug:

I would say "inspired by". Not nearly as dark & different kind of coffee. She says it is a suitable substitute & I won't have to keep buying GGUTGD for her if I keep brewing beers like this!

After I strained the cold brewed coffee into sanitized containers I poured it directly into the keg before adding the beer.

Brewing day! Same coffee milk Stout (influenced by "Gotta Get Up To Get Down" from Wiseacre Brewing Co., Pink & black can). Keg went empty and just want more.

IMG_20161126_155743428_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161126_155437012.jpg

IMG_20161126_155356101.jpg

frankrhps,

How did this latest batch turn out? Any update to your initial attempt? Still using 17 cups of coffee?

That seems like a lot of coffee (more than one gallon?). Are you making a concentrate these days?

I too got bit by the GGUTGD bug. I can't get it where I live, but still have some tucked away. That won't last forever, so the next brew day hopefully results in a reasonable substitute!

Thanks,

P

I used about a half gallon of cold brewed coffee this time. The first batch was great, and gone. This batch is now kegged and carbing. I drank the hydrometer reading sample (before adding coffee) before kegging and it was awesome, better than first batch! 5.75% ABV.

I used about a half gallon of cold brewed coffee this time. The first batch was great, and gone. This batch is now kegged and carbing. I drank the hydrometer reading sample (before adding coffee) before kegging and it was awesome, better than first batch! 5.75% ABV.
Good to see you going after this again...like they say, happy wife, happy life. I noticed it looks like you're using Brewer's Friend. Did you make you recipe public? Ed

I used Gevalia Kaffe Special Reserve Guatemala coarse ground this time. It turned out GREAT!!!!!! This keg is now just about empty! I think it was better than the first batch. I may have to go for a 3rd.

I used Gevalia Kaffe Special Reserve Guatemala coarse ground this time. It turned out GREAT!!!!!! This keg is now just about empty! I think it was better than the first batch. I may have to go for a 3rd.
Really good to hear, and I hope the Mrs liked it too. Do you mind sharing the recipe (either here or going public on Brewer's Friend?) I'd love to give it a shot as well. Thanks.
Ed

Back