What to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jthornburgh

Reaction score
My journey to homebrewing has been a long one, recently I decided to stop thinking about it, and go for it. I am making a 15gal pot and a 9gal conical out of 16ga 304ss. In the meantime have started a mead, using a plastic bucket, that I have been talking about with a friend for over a year. It's now one week in the fermerntor (temp controlled), and I want to do beer next weekend, but my stainless equiepment won't be ready by then. I plan on doing BIAB.

My wife asked for something easy drinking, with pomegranates. My wife juiced and froze about half a gallon last weekend. So I thought I would make her a 3gal batch. I had been looking around and saw several posts referring to making a Hefewize with it, but talking to another friend today he said it may be good in a pale ale.

What do you think? I have both wlp029 and wlp320 in the fridge. Since I am planning on doing a kolsch when I get my stainless fermenter set up.

i've seen posts for both, but have not used pomegranates in beer yet. what do you like for beer? do you like fairly sweet or hoppy? if you like sweet, go for hefe; hoppy, go for a pale ale. there are some awesome brewers here who can help you with a good recipe for either. you just need to tell them what style you prefer

I drink just about every style. Hefs have been my usual summer drink, but I have been drinking more hoppy things lately, and move to stouts in the winter.

Up until a couple years ago she only drank Coors light, but she now like a wider variety, she like things bitter, but hop bitters are sometimes too much for her. I figured that makingnsdomething she would like would be a good thank you for supporting me in finally starting.

My advice: hold off on the pomegranates for now. Brew something simple until you are confident in your process. Then progressively brew more complex recipes. There is enough going on between yeast, grains, and hops that you don't want anything other variables to interfere with your ability to isolate any problems.

Hef and Pale Ale are great suggestions because they are simple beers. If your first batch is good, then throw in the fruit and see if you like it.

Back