Line Up Your Ball Valves With Less Hassle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcav

Still Believing In God, Family &This Great Country
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I used this Loctite 55 sealing cord recently on some of my threaded valves and posted it in my build thread. I also used it on some of the npt to female tri clover fittings like on pump heads. This stuff is great. If you ever have a problem trying to get your ball valve handles to line up where you want them this stuff is great. There is a video on YouTube that shows plumbing fittings being repositioned after tightening with no leaks. This means you can tighten down your ball valves and then turn them backwards loosening them to get them to line up where you want them, up to 45 degrees, and this stuff will still maintain a seal with no leaks. Try that with Teflon tape!!!

I was reading on a forum where all the plumbers in England use this stuff exclusively instead of Teflon tape on their potable water plumbing installations. It has a wide temperature range and can withstand boiling temps and up to 300 degrees. Might have to shield it from open flame however......If this has already been posted I apologize I haven't seen it posted yet on here so don't jump all over me, I'm just trying to offer a solution.

DSC_5502.jpg

DSC_5505.jpg
I used it on the two herms coil ball valves on the right (coil not installed yet). You can hardly see the excess on the threads but its on there.
DSC_5511.jpg

I got it originally from McMaster Carr a few years ago. They don't carry it anymore. You can get it on ebay now, Comet Supply, Grainger, Fastenall, and if you google it, I'm sure others carry it also. Here is the video I was talking about. The end of the video the ball valve is repositioned.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4uMq6yQiQ[/ame]

I didn't gnarl up the threads with the pliers like the video either, I just wound it on and attached the fitting and tightened with a wrench. I read also that this stuff will also seal if the fitting is fairly loose and not cranked down so its sealing properties are superior.

Cheers!

John

Here is another video of some type of furnace (I guess) with an insane amount of fittings. This was done in Europe. These guys didn't gnarl up the threads, just wound on the cord and put on the fitting.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx7X5sOV3SY[/ame]

Thanks for posting. I had never seen that pipe sealing cord before. Might have to give that a shot, as I hate the trial-and-error of trying to get the right number of turns of teflon tape to get the valve to tighten in just the right position.

I see they have it on Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update on this vendor. He is all sold out. But there are many other sites and places that sell this item if you google it.......

John

FYI if you have 3-piece ball valves... you put one of the ends on first, and then get that tightened to the next 90 degree position... THEN you put the valve together.

I don't know why the video in my previous post above is now gone. So I will post the video again, here it is......
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4uMq6yQiQ[/ame]
Anyone know why it disappeared after a few weeks?

John

Latest posts

Back