Anyone need some Brew Boss configuration spreadsheets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
I just got my brew boss system in the mail. I got a 10gal COFI version with the whirlpool attachment arm. I have made several brew schedule configurations and I figured if anyone else is getting started with the system, they may appreciate some templates apart from the pre-made ones that go with it. I've made the following brew templates. Note that I made these to accommodate my plate chiller and whirlpool device so you may need to delete/edit steps accordingly for your particular system:

Ale - Regular ale settings. 60 min Mash of 152, 10 min Mashout of 168, 60 min boil, reminder to add irish moss and finishing hops, 10 min recirculation to sanitize chiller, 20 min whirlpool

Belgian / Dry Ale - 60 min Mash of 148, 10 min Mashout of 168, 60 min boil, reminder to add irish moss and finishing hops, 10 min recirculation to sanitize chiller, reminder to add sugars, 20 min whirlpool

Stout or Porter - 60 min Mash of 155, 10 min Mashout of 168, 60 min boil, reminder to add irish moss and finishing hops, 10 min recirculation to sanitize chiller, 20 min whirlpool

IPA - 60 min Mash of 150, 10 min Mashout of 168, 60 min boil, reminder to add irish moss and gypsum and finishing hops, 10 min recirculation to sanitize chiller, reminder to add sugars, 60 min whirlpool divided into 2 halves, reminder to add hops for 2nd half

Wheat - 15 min ferulic acid rest of 113, 50 min Mash of 150, 10 min Mashout of 168, reminder to add irish moss and finishing hops, 60 min boil, 10 min recirculation to sanitize chiller, 20 min whirlpool

hope someone can find them useful. I have them on a google docs spreadsheet. Please dont edit the live one I have going though

Brew Boss profiles

oh also, I use my pump to get the cooled wort into the fermentor as opposed to gravity draining it

Thanks mOOps, I am a little challenged when designing a new brew profile and have to edit them a few times after brewing. Hope to add some in the future when I figure out how to transfer from tablet to PC and get them fine tuned.

Does anyone know whether you can edit the profiles without using the bboss software?

I haven't been able to get the tablet that came with bboss to talk to my pc yet. It isn't recognized out of the box. I haven't checked for a driver update but hoping that would be a simple fix.

When and if I do get to browse the files on the tablet I was hoping I could find these profiles in a format I can edit on my computer. I hate typing on tablets if I can avoid it.

Does anyone know whether you can edit the profiles without using the bboss software?

I haven't been able to get the tablet that came with bboss to talk to my pc yet. It isn't recognized out of the box. I haven't checked for a driver update but hoping that would be a simple fix.

When and if I do get to browse the files on the tablet I was hoping I could find these profiles in a format I can edit on my computer. I hate typing on tablets if I can avoid it.

I think the website mentions an Android emulator that you can run on a Windows or MAC. the problem is I don't know if you can transfer those files to the tablet, anyone know about this?

let's see if this link works: http://andyroid.net/

thank, I am aware you don't need the tablet and can emulate it from a laptop.

My question is, are the profiles in a file format that is easy to edit outside of the bboss software? (for example, are they simple text files)

Im not sure how the files are stored in the device's memory. I just got the crappy korean 7" tablet that you can get with the Breww Boss system. Typing all that stuff in on its crappy touchscreen was a nightmare. I cant believe how unresponsive the screen is. Its like as bad as the very first generation of touchscreen devices.

I would think its probably a simpel text file with like
STEPTYPE=3
BOILFLAG=1
PUMPFLAG=0
and so on...

I could try hooking it up to my computer like a external storage device and peek around

I had the same experience, it is frustrating to edit on the tablet. I've tried hooking mine up as a usb device but it isn't recognized. I hope it is as simple as finding the right driver.

I'll poke around some more myself and see what I can find out.

I'll try to do some tests myself. I'm interested to hear what you guys find out.

Darin from BB is very responsive, I'm sure he'd be willing to help.

A Bluetooth keyboard maybe an option, that's what I use with the tablet I have.

I've pulled the files out and have opened them in Excel, but I don't know what format to save them in to go back in the tablet. Darin mentioned to me once that's what he does, but I didn't get the exact details on how he does it.

From the android tablet file explorer you can find the BrewBoss folder and email yourself the config files. Then open them in any text editor on your PC or Mac (they are Sudo comma delimited files). Then you can easily edit them. To get them back on your system either email them to yourself again or use Dropbox/google drive and save them in the BrewBoss folder again. Instead of the email/Dropbox/Google drive file transfer option, if your tablet has the port) you can use a SD card.

I've felt your pain on editing them until I started playing with it and figured this out.

I have a couple configs saved I can send anyone if they would like them. Dry Pilsner style mash/hochurtz mash/a few others all with 90min boils, and recirculation to sanitize pump and whirlpool arm.

When work slows down in a few weeks if there is enough interest I can make a tutorial on the process for files transfer and editing.

Feel free to download these and use them as you wish. As I build more I will add them to this linked folder.

NOTE: They all have 90min boils, and recirculation (starting at the 15min boil mark) to sanitize pump and whirlpool arm.

BrewBoss Programs

That's helpful, thanks.

It seems to be a simple comma delimited format, should be easy enough to program in excel and export, then change the file extension.

Got a quick question. Thanks to Schiersteinbrewing I now have a few more BB documents. One thing I did though, like a total noob, is open them with notepad so now all the files look like a notepad and I have no idea how to change them back. Any ideas? I haven't worked on a helpdesk in years so I'm having trouble changing it back.

Can you attach an image of what it looks like? Whats the file extension (txt or stp)?

As long as the format is still like this you should be fine to just right click, rename and change the file extension to whatever.stp:

1,Fill kettle with water,0,0,0,0,0,1,0
1,Place cover on kettle and then open the valve,0,0,0,0,0,1,0
3,Heating water to Strike Temperature of 127 degrees,127,0,0,1,0,1,0

If it does't look like that then you will need to start over again more than likely.

If you would like you can PM me and I'll give you my email address, then you can send me the file and help you fix it.

I got it sorted out. In XP it was really easy to change the file extension but in win8 it sucks. Basically had to create a file called something.txtand then change it to the .stp which made it into the notepad file and then change it back in the properties and then delete it. DANG! Glad it got it fixed though. What did you use as a text editor?

I use TextEdit on my Mac most of the time. If I'm at work on, horrid Microsoft based machines, I use notepad or word pad generally.

On windows 8 if you don't care for their crazy way of doing things you can use a free program called classic shell. It makes 8 operate more like 7 and gives you a real start button. I like 10 better than 8 but prefer 7 or XP.

I'm getting used to Windows 8 the more I play around with it. It's not too bad. I did find that you can edit the brewboss documents with notepad pretty easy and they still function as intended because they remain .stp files, they're just associated with the notepad application; whatever. lol

Also, when I plug in my tablet and navigate to the brewboss saved parameters folder. I decided to clean things up a bit and delete the ones that I know I'll never use. Got that done but after sitting there for a couple of minutes all of them just popped back in? Have you guys ever experienced that?

Also, when I plug in my tablet and navigate to the brewboss saved parameters folder. I decided to clean things up a bit and delete the ones that I know I'll never use. Got that done but after sitting there for a couple of minutes all of them just popped back in? Have you guys ever experienced that?

Mine did the same thing. I'll bet it's part of the programming.

Oh this site is great! Not sure why Darin doesn't have something like that on the site. I think I may email the guy who did it and ask if I can borrow the code and put in a import option.

Thanks guys.... good stuff.

Rex

I can't remember where I saw this link, but have it book marked for when I get my BB system.

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

Allows you to generate the files using a nice web based interface. It would be neat if you could upload an existing file to start with, but still looks useful.

Is there a way to use this file generator that Brewphish posted here and get the files onto an ipad?

Well any spreadsheet application will work. You just have to save the file as a comma separated file. As I posted in the other thread I do the following. You could do this all on an ipad.

One of the things I have done is to just use a google doc to create my brew day scripts. I know a couple of people have done something simular but I wanted something that I could upload existing scripts into so I can edit and also I wanted to be able to add a line in the middle of the script easily.

So I just created this spread sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NAJcw-EzDL3dVPB5O6I2UQOzweCtpgnMluZjSpwKey8/edit#gid=0

Any "step 1" I have it turn red to know it will stop and require input.

1. Make a copy of the BB template to your google drive.
  2. You just have to copy the .stp file from the tablet to your desktop and rename it to a csv file.
  3. Then open the google doc and clear out the existing steps.
  4. Click in cell row 2 column 1.
  5. Then click file import file.
  6. The on the upload tab browse to your saved csv file.
  7. You will then be prompted on how you want to upload the file.
  8. You want to append the current file and select character as comma.
  9. Make whatever changes you want.
  10. Save the file as a CSV and download and open in notepad and remove the first line and then you can save the file as a .stp file
  11. Move the new file to your tablet and you are good to go

Then you will have your file in the sheet to edit as you would want. It is really a more simple process than it seems. If anyone is interested I can do screenshots as well.

You could also do this with MS Excel but I don't have that and I like the mobilitly of a cloud based program

Thanks puremalice. Though I think i didn't phrase my question properly. I meant to say, once i have the comma delimited file on the cloud, which i do at this point, how do i get that profile to show up in the BB app? when i go into the app, there are only the default profiles plus anything I've edited and saved within the app. what's the process to go from google drive to BB app? Does that makes sense?

Never mind. Found out that you can't upload the files in iOS. Guess I'm stuck creating them on the iPad.

Any tutorials on how to move from excel spreadsheet to android tablet. Mine happens to be a Samsung. I have been inputting directly into the tablet but found these excel spreadsheets and it looks like it would be a lot easier. The problem I have is I am used to Apple and not android. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thankd

I can't remember where I saw this link, but have it book marked for when I get my BB system.

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

Allows you to generate the files using a nice web based interface. It would be neat if you could upload an existing file to start with, but still looks useful.

I know this is very old but I resurrected this interface for BrewBoss step files. It works but there are some oddities. I've found I have to "right click" on the field I want to change and to go right or left I have to use the tab key and shift tab to go left. Found the original files on gethub. If anyone that programs wants to "improve" the interface, I have the files. I used it my last batch and it worked okay. If your interested it's here....

BrewBoss Step File Generator

I know this is very old but I resurrected this interface for BrewBoss step files. It works but there are some oddities. I've found I have to "right click" on the field I want to change and to go right or left I have to use the tab key and shift tab to go left. Found the original files on gethub. If anyone that programs wants to "improve" the interface, I have the files. I used it my last batch and it worked okay. If your interested it's here....

BrewBoss Step File Generator
Thanks!
and I see that the source is all here too: GitHub - jksnetwork/brew-boss-step-generator

Latest posts

Back